We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to book holiday flights (Dec. 2013)?

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to book holiday flights (Dec. 2013)?

Our family of four plans a trip to Sicily during the holidays in December 2013. With school, that is the only time we can go for about three weeks. Just wondering when would be the best time to start looking for discounted fares for that time of season? In advance, many thanks.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to book holiday flights (Dec. 2013)?

Hi bird

I always book flights within a couple of weeks they are released. When we finish annual holidays in Oct, i book for the June and Sept/Oct hol's for the following year. Never gone wrong yet. Admittedly, will see a few discount/promo after booked, but still got the best deal anyway, so not a problem. I am talking about Spain. Whether Sicily same? Got to be the earlier the better for that tome of year would have thought.

Margaurite

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to book holiday flights (Dec. 2013)?

I'm sorta the opposite. I book 2-4 weeks prior to flying. I used to book months in advanced, but always ended up regretting it. For instance, bought tickets to NYC four to five months prior to flying in 2012 (for Xmas w/ family). Thought I got a good deal. Turns out, 2 weeks prior to departure, tickets were 33% less than when I got mine. Jumping early doesn't always pay off.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to book holiday flights (Dec. 2013)?

Thanks for your input. I remember reading a New York Times article which analyzed airfares for the Holiday season and suggested that perhaps August and September were the best times to book. Any thoughts?

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to book holiday flights (Dec. 2013)?

I'd go with November with a simple domestic flight. Maybe September/October for a bigger, international flight.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
11,771 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to book holiday flights (Dec. 2013)?

Always when the flights are first release,no such thing as a last min deal nowadays!!!

6. Re: Best time to book holiday flights (Dec. 2013)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2013, 20:38
Scotland
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to book holiday flights (Dec. 2013)?

"Thanks for your input. I remember reading a New York Times article which analyzed airfares for the Holiday season and suggested that perhaps August and September were the best times to book. Any thoughts?"

Kind of difficult to comment without knowing what you mean by "the holiday season"! To many here (most, I'd aver) "the holiday season" will mean sometime June-August: in which case you'd be booking very early indeed.

Edited: 09 February 2013, 01:28
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time to book holiday flights (Dec. 2013)?

Sorry for the confusion. When I say holiday season, I mean the month of December, 2014 through January, 2014. As well, it would be a international flight originating from Halifax. In addition, no way would I be booking now. But I would like to know when I should be looking for flights at the lowest price.

Edited: 09 February 2013, 03:47
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time to book holiday flights (Dec. 2013)?

Sorry for the confusion. When I say holiday season, I mean the month of December, 2013 through January, 2014. As well, it would be a international flight originating from Halifax.

Edited: 09 February 2013, 03:49
Canada
Level Contributor
9,057 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best time to book holiday flights (Dec. 2013)?

It all depends on the popularity of the destination during the time of your visit.

We usually spend the Christmas/New Year holiday in Hawaii...and book flights as soon as they are released (Dec/Jan)....accommodation shortly thereafter...

As the year unwinds...we sit back and watch the airfares climb....happy we made our purchase well in advance.