We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancelling or changing nonrefundable Delta ticket?

San Diego...
7 posts
Save Topic
Cancelling or changing nonrefundable Delta ticket?

My long-distance (now ex) girlfriend was coming to visit me on March 1. Is there any way to recuperate any money from the ticket or transfer it to another person? Will they refund the money as Delta credit maybe?

From searching, it sounds like it is just not possible. Will I get anywhere by calling Delta or is this a lost cause?

Thanks.

Edited: 12 February 2013, 00:17
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Cancelling or changing nonrefundable Delta ticket?

Ryan M, my experience with ANY legacy carrier (including DL) is that if you cancel a nonrefundable ticket before the flight, only the original ticketed passenger can use the remaining balance for a ticket in their name, after paying the change fee. And, this must be used within one year of the original ticketing date.

Why don't you just call Delta and ask them directly, as they will have access to the terms and conditions associated with this ticket, and no one here does? You can and do get all kinds of crazyand incorrect advice online that has no basis in reality. Best to ask DL.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Cancelling or changing nonrefundable Delta ticket?

But again, the people at the DL office have the right to override things and what they can do and what is technically allowed are two different things. On policy, it is non ref and non transferrable, but an airline agent at their office has more pull than one on the phone.

Just an idea, but until then, she owns the ticket and she gets the credit in her name for a year, but still needs to pay the change fee. But, make sure it is cancelled before departure so she's not a no show.

San Diego...
7 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Cancelling or changing nonrefundable Delta ticket?

Okay it all makes sense and agrees with what my research says. I will call and see what happens and yeah will be sure to cancel it before the flight. Will take care of this sooner than later.

Thank you again for the responses.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,143 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Cancelling or changing nonrefundable Delta ticket?

In my experience with Delta they have never refunded a non-refundable ticket, but we have always received credit. I think we paid a change fee once when we were just having a great time and decided to extend our vacation. The other occasions when we had to cancel were all due to illness or death and Delta credited our account with the total cost of the ticket.

We have never been able to change the name on a ticket, but we also have never tried very hard to do that. The corporate travel agent that works for my daughter's company does do name changes occasionally. I just do not know the procedure.

One thing about calling Delta, if you don't get a satisfactory response call back. Sometimes I have to talk to three or four people before I get someone who is willing to do what I need done.

Springfield, MO
Level Contributor
21 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Cancelling or changing nonrefundable Delta ticket?

I'm curious if anyone has had any luck getting a name changed? I booked tickets for my friend and his "girlfriend" on Friday on Delta. On Monday, he had a surprise phone call that she got engaged over the weekend to someone else (really????). Anyway, I'm trying to help him out -- and considering I booked it on my credit card, I have a little stake here too. If she were a "good" person, she would provide the $$ for the ticket. But who gets engaged to someone when you're dating someone else?

I'm going to call Delta and see if we can add a different friend since it's only been a few days. But I thought I'd see if anyone has had recent experience and/or suggestions on who to call?

Our local airport is commuter Delta only. The tickets were to fly out of Tulsa, about a 3 hour drive. I'm not sure if I could get her to drive to Tulsa with me to go to the Delta ticket office there?

California
8 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Cancelling or changing nonrefundable Delta ticket?

I'm curious if anyone has had any luck getting a name changed?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Never. The only thing I was able to do was to cancel the ticket, pay the change fee, book the cheapest one way ticket possible for the person ($50) and then I got a voucher back for the remaining balance from the airline, which could be used for anyone. This was from UA and I don't even know if they will do that anymore, and have no idea if DL will allow this.

The terms and conditions associated with most nonrefundable fares clearly state you cannot use the ticket for another person. No name changes allowed.

Your friend should reimburse you and consider himself lucky he escaped that one.

Edited: 04 February 2014, 20:31
UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Cancelling or changing nonrefundable Delta ticket?

I'm curious if anyone has had any luck getting a name changed?

--------

There are always edge cases but in general, in the vast majority of cases it's not going to happen. All you can do is call them, it's only a couple of days, who knows maybe if you say it's all your fault, got the wrong girlfriend, they may show mercy.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Cancelling or changing nonrefundable Delta ticket?

>>I booked tickets for my friend and his "girlfriend" on Friday on Delta. On Monday, he had a surprise phone call that she got engaged over the weekend to someone else (really????). <<

I can't help further with your question, but interested to know about your friends unfortunate love life...how long had hey been together, did he know she was seeing someone else, do you think she is lying about being engaged to just get rid of him? C'mon,,,spill:-))

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,143 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Cancelling or changing nonrefundable Delta ticket?

Ahhh....froggy I have the same perplexing questions. If this story is totally accurate there is a young lady somewhere with very questionable ethics. At least she got engaged before anyone spent any more money on a vacation.

Once, many years ago, I also offered to make plane reservations on my credit card with the agreement that people would repay me. Later they both had a change of plans, but this was before anyone actually checked the name on a ticket or matched it to an official ID. So my daughters came with us and just used those tickets. One of my daughters flew under the first name of Frank, and not even an eyebrow was raised.

Now, well aware of the limitations Delta places on nonrefundable tickets, I simply have not placed myself in this unfortunate position again. Plans tend to remain in place if the passengers have a personal investment in the tickets.

That being said, I would certainly attempt to get a name change without paying a change fee. We use the Medallion Line, and when we have emergency situations they have always been surprisingly lenient with us. I know this mercy is not exclusive to the Medallion Line. Some nice young man in India, not only added a destination stop on a return ticket from Seattle at no charge, but actually issued us a refund.

When I need mercy I have a very emotional approach to my very true story. I accept whatever responsibility I had in creating the situation, and if it is within my power I promise not to contribute to something similar in the future. I also discuss those elements that were completely out of my control. I acknowledge that I know what the T & C's are in regard to my ticket and recognize that I am just pleading for a little mercy.

If that does not work, I hang up and call again. I might do that several times, because Delta customer service representatives seem to have some individual autonomy in granting these types of requests, and if I cannot persuade the first one, I might be more successful with the third one.

I do agree that your chances are slim. Possibly the best situation you can achieve is to cancel the ticket and let them place the cost of the ticket in your Delta account. I do not know if they will let you use that balance. minus the $150 change fee to purchase a plane ticket for someone other than the person who was originally ticketed. I also expect that it will be completely impossible to obtain any cash refund.

I would certainly try for mercy, and I would not offer any solution to your problem. Ask the representative if she can suggest anything that will permit you to salvage any of your investment in the ticket.

Atlanta, Georgia
12 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Cancelling or changing nonrefundable Delta ticket?

From my experience, you can always get to use the amount paid. Meaning.. you must cancel the ticket before the original departure and the amount paid is usually allowed to use towards the next purchase. Many airline agents do not know that or do not want to do this kind of cancellation/exchange. Now, when it comes to the name change, it can be tricky.. often this is not allowed, but you can always talk to an agent or even a supervisor (for guaranteed answer) and see if they can transfer you the unused amount onto your name for the future use.

good luck!