We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stopover "priviledges" on internalional flights ?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Stopover "priviledges" on internalional flights ?

Hello again. We are planning a June 2013 trip SEA - GOT, and would like to stopover in either AMS or Paris for about 3 weeks on one of the legs. These flights normally connect in one of these 2 places. In the past, when I have done this before, it was on award travel, and in the times when you had to call the awards office & make the arrangements (and the stopover was at no extra cost).

So I have 2 questions. Is is still an available possibility (at no cost) on most airlines? We probably would be going Delta/KLM or Air France. And if it is still possible, is there any online way to specify this stopover period, in order to check available flights & costs?

I have looked at the multicity possibility online but it prices the trip significantly higher than a straight round trip. Thanks!

uk
Level Contributor
3,612 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stopover "priviledges" on internalional flights ?

Most airlines do add an on cost for including a stop over and if you think about there are additional costs to them.

A good travel agent or a call to the sales office of the relevant airlines might be able to help.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stopover "priviledges" on internalional flights ?

Depends on the fare you pay - some will allow a stopver >24 hours for no fee, some won't. As Geordie suggest call the airline and see what they offer. It's probably not relevant to you, but most fares between Australia and Europe allow for a free stopover (sometimes in both directions) at the airline's hub (eg Singapore or Hong Kong).

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stopover "priviledges" on internalional flights ?

and would like to stopover in either AMS or Paris for about 3 weeks on one of the legs.>>>>>

In your stopover are you planning on travelling around different countries?

I would do open jaw flights land in one city and fly out of GOT for home, I find those types of flights cost the same as a round trip. Then book with an LCC for the single European flight, sometimes you can get a full service flight cheap too.

I find multiple joining flights are more expensive

Edited: 18 February 2013, 09:31
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,257 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stopover "priviledges" on internalional flights ?

Try an open jaw.That's a multi-city option Seatlle to either Paris/Amsterdam, returning from Gothenburg, which should be priced similar to a round trip. Then look into a separate flight PAR/AMS-GOT ticket on whichever carrier is best (if it's an LCC be aware of baggage fees/restrictions, etc). As long as the PAR/AMS-GOT flight is completely separate from the others (ie. you're not trying to "connect" within a few hours) you should be fine.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stopover "priviledges" on internalional flights ?

Why buy a an extra sector if you don't need to? That should only be a last resort if a through fare with stopover is not available. - which my guts tell probably is.

We should not be afraid to ring the airline if the computer doesn't give us what we want. I'm looking at a one way PER-BKK flight later this year. The TG website only shows me a super discount fare and full economy. I'll bet pounds to peanuts that there are other fares in between that better suit my needs, but I'll have to ring TG to find them. Themost appropriate answer to 75% of the questions asked in this forum is 'ring the airline!'

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stopover "priviledges" on internalional flights ?

Can you do 3 week stopovers?

(You type slower than I do USBT)

Edited: 18 February 2013, 10:40
Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stopover "priviledges" on internalional flights ?

<<Can you do 3 week stopovers?>>

Why couldn't you? As long as you complete the entire journey within the vaidlity of the ticket. eg all travel t be completed within 3 months. It's not that unusual a situation.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,750 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Stopover "priviledges" on internalional flights ?

For a three week stay, you don't want a stopover. Typically the airline is not under any obligation to keep your routing the same. They can change your connection point if something happens to one of your flights. It is not a very high probability, but you don't want to end up with a problem where you have three weeks of tours and hotels booked in AMS and end up in EWR instead.

Just use the multi-city option to price it out on the dates that you want. That way you are guaranteed of ending up in your stopover city for the amount of time you want to be there. Could even end up cheaper - airline pricing is far from straightforward.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,267 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stopover "priviledges" on internalional flights ?

I agree that you are looking for a multi city ticket.

You can price it on any airline site.

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stopover "priviledges" on internalional flights ?

Isn't it always going to be more expensive if you add a stopover, depending on the level of the departure taxes.

E.g. If you transit at LHR and go landside, even for a few hours, are you not automatically liable for departure tax?

(Maybe LHR is an extreme example, but don't most hubs have some form of departure tax?)