We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended Airlines

Glasgow
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Recommended Airlines

Hi, I'm intending to travel from Glasgow or London to Sydney mid / late January 2014. Does anyone know what airlines to recommend or indeed avoid?

Many Thanx

Llandudno North...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommended Airlines

If budget isn't the deal breaker then for in-flight comfort I would try and fly with either Singapore airlines who I really like or Asiana, who I havent yet flown with but have heard nothing but good things about from friends and colleagues.

:-)

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommended Airlines

First check out the prices and schedules with the matrix fare comparison website then go to the airquality website for flight reviews.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com

www.airlinequality.com

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommended Airlines

Your previous post stated that Emirates may be your preferred choice.

This is a good airline.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,550 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommended Airlines

Another recommendation for Asiana - comfort and service!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,466 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommended Airlines

Qatar won worlds best airline this year but Singapore won best economy. If you don't have a favorite airline wouldn't you choose by price and convenience? There's only a few stopover spots on the way to Australia and layovers can be a couple of hours to overnight stays. You need to do a search for your preferred dates and then do a comparison ... by the way I am a QANTAS fan but you will read alot of complaints here about them ... but there is not one airline without a few posts about them that aren't flattering. Last year we flew to London with BA, flight over was horrible.. return flight we were upgraded and had a great time.

6. Re: Recommended Airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 22 February 2013, 14:42
Llandudno North...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommended Airlines

Of course it s all a matter of opinion and subjective, but emirates in economy isn't the most pleasant experience in my opinion.

The seats aren't particularly comfy and seem a little narrower than other carriers ( this from how it felt rather than actual fact and may not be true)

The service hasn't been outstanding the last few time I ve flown with them, and Dubai for transit, although nice and shiny and lots of amenities always seems to be far too busy whatever time of day and you always seem to be queuing for something. Not my favourite.

A few posts on here recently have highlighted how their customer service has been less than helpful when problems have arisen.

Their onboard entertainment is one of the best around though.

If you are thinking of travelling in business or first then things improve dramatically with Emirates and are complete opposite of the scale.

Economy used to be a much more pleasant experience with emirates. My last few trips have not really been bad, just not as good as it used to be.

Just my opinion

:-)

Glasgow
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommended Airlines

Thank you all for your reply's will surf the web and look at reviews got a couple of months before I book so time is on my side :)

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
15,889 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommended Airlines

Qatar or Emirates are both good.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,856 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommended Airlines

If you choose Emirates note that they will shortly be code sharing the DXB-SYD leg with Qantas, so if you want to be on an EK plane all the way double check the reservation before booking.

For convenience from Glasgow, Emirates would be the best bet (only one stop). For two stop services (presumably via Heathrow) you have lots of choices. Of Skytrax's top 10 ranked airlines in the world, the following would get you to SYD: Qatar (1), Asiana (2), Singapore (3), Cathay Pacific (4), Etihad (6), Thai (9), Malaysia (10). Fyi - Emirates was ranked #8. There is of course good old BA.

Of those I would choose Asiana as I've flown them before in economy and their service is outstanding, and the stopover would be at Seoul Incheon which is the best airport to spend any time. if your layover at ICN were 8 hours or longer, Asiana also provides a free hotel room (though you'd have to call them as they don't advertize that).

Edited: 22 February 2013, 19:10