We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transiting in Houston and São Paulo

London, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Transiting in Houston and São Paulo

Dear all,

I hope to do this round-the-world thing in the summer with *A and there are two segments that I am slightly worried about.

YYC - IAH - EZE: YYC-IAH is with AC and IAH-EZE is with UA. There are 4 hours in between... but I was wondering if my bags would be checked through to Buenos Aires in this case? And do I need to go through immigrations in Houston?

EZE - GRU - LHR, all with JJ (TAM). Can they be trusted to check my bags through all the way to London?

Thanks a lot!!

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,156 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transiting in Houston and São Paulo

There is no transit area in the US, so you will have to clear immigration (don't forget to apply for an ESTA!!!!) and you will also have to pick up your luggage and clear customs. They should be "tagged through", so you don't really "re-check" your bags, you simply put it on a belt directly after customs.

Edited: 23 February 2013, 18:05
Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,897 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transiting in Houston and São Paulo

"...you will also have to pick up your luggage and clear customs"

No they won't. US Immigration and Customs clearance will occur in Calgary. The plane will land as a domestic flight with no need to clear immigration and customs in Houston. AC and United are in the same alliance. As long as the two segments are on the same itinerary, you will be able to check your bag in Calgary and pick it up in Brazil. 4 hours is tons of time to make that connection.

Take a close look at your itinerary. AC and United do codeshares for a few of the flights between IAH and YYC

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,156 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transiting in Houston and São Paulo

Oh sorry.

I read over the Canada part, you are right.

Still remember to apply for an ESTA, though...

uk
Level Contributor
3,816 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transiting in Houston and São Paulo

And yes, your bags will also be through checked on the TAM flights.

5. Re: Transiting in Houston and São Paulo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2014, 06:15