We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denver to ??? for Europe trip

Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,874 posts
169 reviews
Save Topic
Denver to ??? for Europe trip

We've (hubby & I) decided our first trip to Europe is in the cards this year. The dates are flexible...probably will be about a three week trip starting in September sometime. We are just starting to plan the itinerary. We are budget conscious travelers looking for good value, trying to plan well and get the most for our money. Rome and Venice are musts, plus some of Germany, probably Paris. I've always wanted to visit Ireland and England, too, but that may have to be a separate trip. Although someone suggested I start in London and end in Rome.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me regarding the international air travel part of this trip? (Or should I say intercontinental, as we plan to travel mostly by train in Europe) Should I find the best tickets and then plan the itinerary? Or plan the itinerary, then look for tickets? Is it usually cheaper to get a round trip ticket and plan a loop itinerary?

Iceland Air recently started service to/from Denver and is running some specials. Is anyone aware of other good deals? Is there a favorite search engine you use?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,899 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Denver to ??? for Europe trip

"Is it usually cheaper to get a round trip ticket and plan a loop itinerary? " - You could get a simple return ticket and do a circular tour or an open jaw flight to do a one way road trip which will probably be more effective in terms of time usage.

Just dont get 2 x one way tickets.

If it was me I'd probably start with flying with BA direct to London Heathrow and start the road trip after a few days in London - you could get the Eurostar to Paris and eventually fly home from say Rome via LHR to Denver.

Might not be the cheapest flight option but will save a lot of time compared to connecting flights. Try matrix to search your flight options.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
9,324 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Denver to ??? for Europe trip

Icelandair is pretty good and they have good connections through Keflavik. You can do a multi city trip, say connect to LHR and back from another European city. They get very good reviews and you could do a stopover in Iceland. It's such a different place to anywhere else.

I've also done LHR to Denver with BA that's a good service. Then there will be connection to almost anywhere in Europe.

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Denver to ??? for Europe trip

We did this 2 years ago. We flew into London, went to Paris - Stuttgart - Munich - Florence - Rome. We flew from Rome back to London then back to Houston.

This year we are flying into London. Flying from London to Salzburg. Train to Vienna, bus to Prague, then flying back to London for our ride back to Houston.

I would suggest finding the best flight deal and working around it - if you are on a budget.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,719 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Denver to ??? for Europe trip

To me all those trips sound like you are really rushing around and are not taking your time to get to really see much!

I am also planning a trip in September but I probably won't be buying a ticket until May or June. I have been watching prices and they've gone down a little in the last week or so. It is my experience that at about 3months out you have the best chance of the itineraries not changing too much and the prices seem to have been at the low end of the spectrum.

I'd fly into one city in Italy and fly out of another. You can price this by clicking on multi city on any airline site. Within Italy you travel from place to place by train.

Depending on which airline you use you can probably also add on Paris or one city in Germany(like Munich/Berlin/) so maybe fly into one of those cities and then out of Italy.

England is too far away to add into this trip(IMO).

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,848 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Denver to ??? for Europe trip

Consider flying from DEN to Dublin R/T

Now look at the likes of budget carriers

from Dublin to mainland Europe

The only problems i see are how much luggage

are you bringing with you ? too much and you could end up

paying loads more.

Make sure you read the T & C section of the airline(s)

your interested in flying with.

good luck.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16,374 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Denver to ??? for Europe trip

A couple notes.

1. Sounds like an awful lot for 3 weeks.

2. Internal European flights on Ryanair and EZjet and other discount airlines can be a whole lot cheaper than you realize so don't just assume you'll take the train everywhere. The trains cost money, too, and they cost time as well.

3. Cheapest flight by far I ever got to Europe was into Istanbul. I know that's not on your dream itinerary, but it's a fantastic city. And Turkish Airlines was great. And I'd guess you can get inexpensive flights from there to elsewhere in Europe.

4. If you're set on seeing a couple places, you might as well set up your itinerary first, but there's obviously a lot to see so you could also look for good fares and build an itinerary around what you find.

5. Get a Rick Steves guidebook. We use them all the time. Lots of practical time saving tips and reviews of smaller hotels that will save you some money.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,597 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Denver to ??? for Europe trip

Good for you! Europe has become like a second home over the years - you'll love it. For the sake of planning, you have about four potentially separate trips, some of which you can easily combine into one. Some are best left for later. As noted, get the Rick Steves books - very American but, for an American, the best planning tools for Europe.

Airwise, I'm a DL flier but do know that the new Icelandair deal out of DEN is fantastic and worth doing. While I haven't been to Iceland, you should do the stopover deal. Look at Icelandair destinations. Maybe fly into Milan and out of Paris. You can do all your travel on this routing in Europe by train.

Given your interests, I would prioritize this way:

Italy - Rome/Florence/Venice - the usual trifecta. Possible add-in to the Cinque Terre. (7-10 days); get a car for a day or two in Florence to explore Tuscany.

Germany/Austria - Munich/castle country/Salzburg (3-4 days); get a car for two days to explore the castles.

Paris - Note that this is a bit of a distance away. (3-4 days)

London - You may have enough already with the above, but London is a natural add-on with Eurostar under the channel.

Ireland - Save this for another trip.

Have fun.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,040 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Denver to ??? for Europe trip

If FI (Icelandair) are flying from DEN then it's definitely worth a look. A nice small airline, with easy connections at KEF, an efficiently-operated airport.

If you consider booking air travel within Europe on any low cost carrier, please make dummy bookings to ascertain the full cost of the fare, as fees can make a low base fare less of a bargain at the Buy Now page. Keep in mind that the LCCs' rules for size and weight of baggage are adhered to closely - should the limit be 15kg and you have 16kg at check in, you will pay dearly for it.

Rick Steves - oh dear. Try the Dorling Kindersley Eyewitness Guides instead.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16,374 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Denver to ??? for Europe trip

I don't like the DK Eyewitness guides. Too many pictures and not enough actual information. Plus with all the heavyweight glossy pages, they're kind of heavy to carry around. They're pretty to look at but not that helpful for planning a trip. I've found the Rick Steve's guides immensely more helpful.

Aspen, CO
Level Contributor
980 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Denver to ??? for Europe trip

I'm going to chime in with the other posters that this is a lot of travel and less truly experiencing the places you're in. I understand the need to fit it all in for fear you may not have time or budget to go back, but consider narrowing your list perhaps.

Also, since budget is a concern, consider going a little later if you have flexibility. This will vary by city of course, but September is a big month for conventions in many places in Europe and flights and hotel rooms may be more costly than in say November.