We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Canada Low Price Guarantee

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Air Canada Low Price Guarantee

I booked a round trip flight to an international destination in December on Air Canada's website for a flight at the end of April. In February I received an e-mail from Air Canada advising of their low price guarantee offering a refund of the difference if there was a cheaper flight offered on any other travel website. I checked and found two cheaper flights, by about $170 (or 10%) a ticket.

When I submitted a claim I was told that the program applied only if you submit a claim within 24 hours of booking on the AC website. When I pointed out the introduction of the program only in February they advised the program has existed since 2009 as the "Lowest Fare Guarantee" BUT it was "re-launched" with a branding change and also "expanded to include international itineraries". My flight is international so I presume that the program did not exist for it when I booked in December.

Lessons learned: 1. Check prices as third party suppliers can apparently sell Air Canada flights cheaper than Air Canada can. 2. Don't rely on Air Canada's customer service to help if you have a problem.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,121 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Air Canada Low Price Guarantee

Well, post 7 has nothing at all to do with the title of this message and the further comment on that of CAUTION: BOOKING A PACKAGE DEAL ON HOTELS.COM CAN LEAVE YOU STRANDED. HOTELS.COM WILL HELP WITH HOTEL AND LEAVE YOU STRANDED RE. AIRFARE. makes one wonder--is the problem Air Canada, Hotels.com or weather?

My guess is a combination of all 3, but again, nothing to with the original topic at hand, AC's price gurantee.

Vancouver, bC
Level Contributor
1 post
23 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Air Canada Low Price Guarantee

This only applies to flights booked on AC, and their website prices 24 hours after you book. If Westjet posts a lower price after you book, it does not count. It's not really a promotion as they are protecting you from themselves, NOT their competitors!

toronto
Level Contributor
47 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Air Canada Low Price Guarantee

Perhaps you can help me.

I booked a ticket from Toronto to Phoenix and followed all the rules Air Canada detailed.

I found the exact same flights from Air Canada on another website for cheaper.

I filled out the form within twenty four hours, provided the name of the airline and its URL and copied the page up until it was time to press the button with the credit card information.

I submitted the form and got the response that it was received and I would receive a reply within ninety six hours and then...nothing.

I contacted customer service , first over the phone and then through the "contact us" button, and was given the runaround that I need to use the "low price guarantee " link. But, that link is only for submitting a claim within twenty four hours, not for followup.

I did take the flight last week and got back last night.

Is this "low price guarantee" bogus?

I have written to air canada help four times and called twice.

This was my latest correspondence:

Date: Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Subject: Re: Issue#:ABDA-SCNJE9:12/03/2013 18:10:52:low price guarantee request filed Nov 21--no response

To: support@help-aircanada.com

Is your Low Price Guarantee hokum? Do I need to go to the Better Business Bureau?

My flight has already taken place--the form will not let me get in touch with the Low Price Guarantee people as the dates are not in the future. I filled in the form but the filled in places did not copy.

I filed the claim as required and have all supporting evidence but have not gotten any response.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,174 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Air Canada Low Price Guarantee

<Is your Low Price Guarantee hokum? Do I need to go to the Better Business Bureau?>

If this is what you wrote word for word, I'm not sure I would have responded to such an attacking email either. Plus, you don't even share what you'd like for AC to do.

toronto
Level Contributor
47 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Air Canada Low Price Guarantee

That was the fourth email I had written to AirCanada customer relations.

The form for the low price guarantee was submitted on November 21, just after I had bought my ticket.

The form went through and I got the following response: (I have cut and pasted it)

Lowest Price Guarantee Claim Submission

We thank you for your submission.

Your request will be reviewed promptly and you should receive a reply from Air Canada within 96 hours.

I received no further correspondence from Air Canada on this matter.

So, in late November I called Air Canada at their 1-800 number.

After waiting on the phone for over half an hour, I connected to a reservations agent who told me there was no customer service by phone and that all correspondence had to be done by email.

She gave me the link, which is the same as the one posted on the low price guarantee site for "contact us".

I then sent a very cordial letter to that email address with all of my verifying information.

I received the following in response:

As this is not Customer Relations area of expertise, we would kindly ask that you send you your submission to the the following link:

aircanada.com/en/…price_guarantee.html

Thank you for the opportunity to review your concerns. We truly value your support and appreciate the business you provide to Air Canada.

Sincerely,

Richard

Customer Relations

So, I sent the following--

To: support@help-aircanada.com;

Sent: 06/12/2013 04:13:01 PM

Subject: Issue#:ABDA-SCNJE9:12/03/2013 18:10:52:low price guarantee request filed Nov 21--no response

Dear, Richard in customer relations,

That link you provided me with is where I started and where I originally filed my claim.

The link on that page for CONTACT US goes to you. This is a circle where everyone seems to be passing the buck to another department.

I called your reservations line which told me, after waiting to speak to them for forty minutes, that they are not customer service, that the only way to contact customer service is by email and not by phone, and they gave me your email address as well.

Is there actually a LOW PRICE GUARANTEE, Richard?

The letter I received when I filed my claim said that they would get back to me in three days, and they never have--it is almost a month now.

If you cannot help me resolve this issue, can you please provide me with 25,000 Air Canada airmiles or any other restitution within your allowability? My Aeroplan account number is XXXXXXXXXX

Looking forward to hearing from you as soon as possible because my next trip with you starts in two days, YYYYYYYYYYY

So, you see, I also offered another alternative for customer service to help me--the difference in price was about forty dollars and change and the extra fifty would have brought the amount to close to a hundred.

I got the following response:

support@help-aircanada.com

Dec 9 (8 days ago)

to me

===============================================================

Please do not change the Subject Line - Veuillez ne pas modifier le Sujet de ce courriel

===============================================================

Dear Ms. YYYYYYYYY,

Once again by accessing the following link you will be given directions as to how you will need to submit your claim:

aircanada.com/en/…price_guarantee.html

Click on how to submit your claim and follow the process by submitting the online claim form.

Once you have submitted your claim by providing all the information requested your will be contacted within 96 hours.

Sincerely,

Richard

Customer Relations

I am seriously wondering if this price guarantee actually exists, and if Richard is a real person or a computer, which is why I posted this on TripAdvisor.

I am not trying to be confrontational. The link they have provided time and again is only for posting your original claim and will not go through for any other contact--I tried to write a message. I am beyond frustrated. And, I use Air Canada fairly frequently and hold their Aeroplan card.

What would you do?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,060 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Air Canada Low Price Guarantee

"...Thanks but the program didn't exist for international flights at the time of booking..."

Well, isn't this the reason?

toronto
Level Contributor
47 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Air Canada Low Price Guarantee

Did you read the contents of my question, Jeanne Pierre?

This ticket was booked on November 21, 2013.

The program was certainly in effect at the time.

The low price guarantee form was filled out within twenty four hours., following all the rules.

It was accepted by the computer.

My claim was not rejected.

I just never got a followup reply within the ninety six hours promised or, in fact, to this day.

The destination expert in Houston, Texas wanted to know what I expect Air Canada to do.

At this point, the thing I want Air Canada to do is have a live person call me on the phone and discuss this--I am sure we could sort it out.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,174 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Air Canada Low Price Guarantee

Have you tried Twitter. Sign up, follow them, then send them a direct message via Twitter. It might work.

https://twitter.com/AirCanada

toronto
Level Contributor
47 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Air Canada Low Price Guarantee

Thank you for the suggestion.

I have actually never used Twitter.

What would you suggest the wording of the post be?

toronto
Level Contributor
47 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Air Canada Low Price Guarantee

So, apparently, taking this issue onto the social media did finally get me a response from Air Canada customer service...thank you, Houston.

We received notification from our Customer Relations department that you have not heard back from our team regarding a lower price you found on cheapoair.ca. Due to the large volume of claims to the Lowest Price Guarantee inbox, your claim was never received. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Would you be able to provide us this necessary information:

PNR:

Travel:

Date: [DD/MM/YYYY

Fare:

Source: [lower price found on: website]

And any supporting screen shots that you have of the lower price on cheapoair.ca.

So, I resubmitted my documentation, and seven days went by.

I then received this--

Thank you for submitting your Lowest Price Guarantee claim.

Our Lowest Price Guarantee pledges that all tickets purchased on aircanada.com or aircanada.com/agent are the lowest when compared within 24 hours of initial purchase to Air Canada prices offered by any other Canadian travel retailer for the same date and flight. This makes aircanada.com and aircanada.com/agents the first and last stop when shopping for our prices.

As per details of the program, the lower price must be displayed and sold in Canadian Dollars (CAD).

Please refer to the Price Guarantee website for further details: (http://www.aircanada.com/guarantee).

Unfortunately, the lower price found on cheapoair.com does not qualify, in this instance, as it is an American travel retailer and the fare is quoted in US dollars. For the comparison to be valid between the lower price found and Air Canada’s price, the lower price must be displayed and quoted in Canadian dollars as mentioned above.

We appreciate your interest in the Lowest Price Guarantee, and look forward to welcoming you aboard an Air Canada flight in the near future.

This, after specifically quoting the name of the retailer and inviting me to resubmit my information.

CheapoAir markets to Canadians and there is no indication anywhere on the site that it is an American retailer. The dollar amount also does not indicate what currency it might be in.

So, to be successful in submitting a claim (good, especially for Americans to be aware of)--the amount quoted must be in Canadian dollars and from a Canadian retailer--within twenty four hours after booking the flight--the flights must be exactly the same--you must capture a screenshot with the date and time, otherwise it is invalid ( but the web page just before payment that they ask for does not display a date or time)

There are an enormous amount of booby traps to weed out any legitimate claims.

I am wondering at the percentage of people who have submitted claims to Air Canada and actually been successful and how many have been declined.

If you have had experience with submitting a claim to Air Canada regarding its 'low price guarantee", it would be good for you to post the results on this forum.

I am imagining that my initial claim was lost because customer service has been so busy sending out declines for all the many claims it is receiving.

Edited: 03 January 2014, 05:11