We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
13 posts
154 reviews
Save Topic
Wrong spelling of middle name

We are taking our grandson to Italy and discovered his middle name is spelled differently on his ticket compared to his passport. Will that be an issue? Since we booked this with airmiles from United when we called United they said they would have to cancel his ticket and give him a new one. Since there are six legs on this journey and some flights are almost full we'd be afraid he wouldn't get on. Am open to all suggestions!

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
13 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Wrong spelling of middle name

If there is a question, explain that you tried to correct it. As long as this is a domestic flight I wouldn't worry about it especially because it is his middle name. If it was international, that would be more of a concern.

I think he'll be OK. We had six legs of an international trip with a minor whose middle name was spelled incorrectly and were never asked.

Edited: 12 December 2013, 12:25
London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Wrong spelling of middle name

I've booked a trip to Goa through Opodo and the eticket has my middle name SAMUEL with a typo and it says SAMUEK...is this something I should be concerned about?

Opodo have been helpful in alerting the airlines to put a note on my account, but they say ultimately its down to the discretion of the ticket staff and the only way to resolve the issue is for me to re purchase the ticket at £525.

The journey will use British Airways to get me to Mumbai and Air India to get me to Goa, any info to help me decide what to do is appreciated.

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
13 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Wrong spelling of middle name

Will you be booked all the way through? If so, it should not be a problem as long as it was noted. It just looks like one letter off. Plus it is your middle name and usually they don't care. If it was your first name it would be a different story.

We were advised to carry a copy of the birth certificate in case it was needed for further identification but we were never asked. I certainly wouldn't purchase another ticket.

Don't even mention it either. You should be fine.

Like I said, we had six legs of our trip and we were not asked.

Edited: 12 March 2014, 18:22
London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Wrong spelling of middle name

Thank you for your response, most encouraging.

I will be booked all the way through and I'll be sure to take various forms of ID with me.

cairo
1 post
Save Reply
15. Re: Wrong spelling of middle name

I bought an etihad ticket through a travel agency, they issued my ticket but put a wrong order in my name.

They wrote Andrea WijayaHanifa instead of Hanifa Andrea Wijaya.

They put my name ​​​*as my last name, and my middle name *as my name..

I called the agency and they said its not gonna be a proble.

What do you think I should do..

Any answers would be really helpful

Abu Dhabi, Abu...
Level Contributor
49 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Wrong spelling of middle name

Dear Rhinze ( Andrea),

I don't think it should be a problem. I travelled to moscow , last year , My actual name is Syed Asim Ali Mukhtar. Show how , Emirates got , Asem Ali Mukhtar Syed on the ticket. The whole journey from Dubai to Moscow and back , went without any issue. So I don't think it should be a issue..

Asim

London, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Wrong spelling of middle name

I have had a similar problem with Opodo, me and my friend are travelling with Garuda Airlines and my middle name has appeared as his too. The airline is refusing to change the name (already ridiculous in its own right considering the return with BA three days later wasn't a problem to change), and the agency says they won't change it as they refuse to acknowledge it was their mistake. A remark has been added to the passenger records saying my friend's middle name on the booking is wrong, however it can't be guaranteed through immigration that we will pass. How did your trip go Andrew? Was there any problems?

Any further information would be greatly received to put my mind at rest! We depart in two and a half weeks.

Belfast, United...
1 post
Save Reply
18. Re: Wrong spelling of middle name

Im travelling with aerlingus to Malaga and somehow my name reads JOHN ALANSMITH when it should read

1st name JOHN

Middle name ALAN

Surname SMITH

it did ask on the app exactly how your name reads on my passport

im worried I will be charged for a name change at £80

can anyone put my mind at rest it was only booked 1hour ago

Oldham, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Wrong spelling of middle name

this was also the case for my wife's ticket to New York. (United Airlines)

maybe its just the way the computer systems work.

No problems encountered though on the trip itself.

Maybe you can ring customer services, although I have never dealt with Aerlingus so I cant vouch for their assistance.

20. Re: Wrong spelling of middle name

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 November 2015, 20:35