We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Perfume on passport

Delaware
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Perfume on passport

My girlfriend spilled perfume on her passport when it leaked in her purse. Everything is still legible but it looks like she has a watermark on all of the pages and the laminate is slightly dulled on the photo page. But only where the watermark is. None of the writing or the photo has any damage. And the passport itself shows no wear. (hardley used) Do you think we will have any issues? We will be traveling by air from BWI to Cancun the first week of April. 2 post offices in our area both said it was ok but we don't have a customs office nearby to verify.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Perfume on passport

Do you think we will have any issues?

=======

People here cant see it, and even if they could, none of us (AFAIK) are the checkin person at the desk, or the immigration officials in BWI and Cancun who will be making a subjective judgement?

So there is no way to know in advance. If it was me, I'd get a new passport. Whats the fee compared to getting bounced off a flight at the airport and missing your holiday?And the worry for the next 4 weeks.

Canada
Level Contributor
5,158 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Perfume on passport

I have an acquaintance who washed their passport ( a bit more radical I know) was cleared by the Delta CI agent at Minneapolis or similar, flew to Cancun and was denied entry and sent home. Bummer.

For me personally - its not worth the risk. I would get a new passport and with almost a month to do it in, definitely.

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,263 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Perfume on passport

Unless those people at the PO will be checking passports at the airport that information is useless.

One agent may let it go. Another may not.

The only safe way is to get a new one.

Edited: 06 March 2013, 02:03
Delaware
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Perfume on passport

Yes we are going to try to get a new one I believe. Just hoping we can get it back in time thank you

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
122 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Perfume on passport

I personally wouldn't bother getting a new one. My husbands went through the washing machine a few years ago. It was in a pocket so got wet but was not torn. I made enquiries about getting a new one and it was going to cost a lot, so we waited until our daughter was travelling overseas, and when she was at the checkin counter, we asked about ours, explaining that we were travelling in the next few months. They said it was perfectly fine, and that they has seen much worse with backpackers who had travelled around Asia! We've used it many times since then, with no trouble. I'm not sure where you are from, but if you're able to get to an airport before travelling, all you have to do is ask them. Goodluck

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Perfume on passport

Definitely get a new one. I've had two clients in the past year denied boarding because of this. Both to Mexico and on different airlines, but reason given is that Mexico has cracked down in the last year or so on the passports being in perfect condition and if the immigration agents turn them around, it's on the airlines.

One had gone through the wash, so not in great condition, but the other had one watermark on a blank page. Don't know why the airline check in agent looked at it or if it wast just unlucky that it was the page that it opened to. Either way, I wouldn't chance it. We also received memos from a few airlines regarding this, so better be safe than sorry. You can pay extra to expedite the process and get the passport in a day or two if you go down there.

Good luck:)

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,734 posts
538 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Perfume on passport

"My husbands went through the washing machine a few years ago." Hope your husbands smelled good after the wash...

Talking about smelling good, "My girlfriend spilled perfume on her passport": while the officers should enjoy the nice smell, I wouldn't either run the risk... Get a new one.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,604 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Perfume on passport

< while the officers should enjoy the nice smell >

Or think it's a chemical weapon attack...

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Perfume on passport

Get a new one if you can.

I had something similar happen while on holiday. Though I spilled water, not perfume. As I'd already departed, I had to risk it with immigration. Thankfully I was ok, but the worry it caused me on my holiday... Just save yourself the turmoil!

10. Re: Perfume on passport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 September 2013, 10:56