We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Etihad airlines

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
122 posts
343 reviews
Save Topic
Etihad airlines

We're thinking of travelling economy class from Sydney to Amsterdam and return with Etihad airlines, stopping at Abu Dhabi for a few hours. Has anyone travelled with them recently and how would you rate the service/entertainment/food. Any information greatly appreciated.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Etihad airlines

I'm sure some on here have flown Etihad and will comment. There are also plenty of reviews on the Skytrax website.

www.airlinequality.com/Forum/etihad.htm

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
122 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Etihad airlines

Thanks. Will have a look

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,042 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Etihad airlines

Just heard from a very recent pax that on 3 flights with them he never got the meal he had selected as everybody chose chicken as the other meals were not very appealing. I have flown with them for many years but never in Y. There were ups and downs in service. Watching the Y transit in AUH it is a bit of a shambles, all push and shove.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,425 posts
474 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Etihad airlines

It's my favourite of the three (EK, QR and EY). Now if you had in mind to go down-town in AUH, do consider the distance (about 40km). You could however plan a longer stop and pass by Dubai (about 80km from AUH airport - there is an Etihad bus shuttle).

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,039 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Etihad airlines

I've used Etihad on the London - Bangkok and London - Kuala Lumpur stints going via Abu Dhabi.

Fine, have used Qatar and Emirates and would use any 3 again.

Regarding food, there is usually 3 choices one of which is veggie. Normally you can get your choice, but we were sat at the back so only 1 options was left by then. However the stewardess saw my disappointment ans gave me an extra dessert ...... which was chocolatey so I was happy. Free drinks all the way too like most decent long haulers.

IFE is good, lots of choice to keep you occupied for the entire journey. I think you can view their films brochure beforehand on their website too.

Service has been fine, although one staff member decided to sit on the seat behind me and chat to this girl very loudly. Bearing in mind the lights were off for a night flight and he swung on the chair to get up and down waking me up. Gave him a look and he apologised ..... no harm done in the end. Other staff pleasant.

Connection in Abu Dhabi now done at least 4 times .... easy peasey and smooth. Just know which gate you are off too, they normally have it on screen when you are landing but check the screens in the airport too incase they change.

Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Etihad airlines

I did mel -ist with etihad in Y.everything went fine. Food was well, as you expect. Good ife and service was pretty decent! In my opinion unless your flying towards the pointy end of the plane most seats and service is around the same level. That is of course between your qr, ek, ey, sq etc

England, United...
Level Contributor
206 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Etihad airlines

we have just got back from Thailand flying with them, missed our flight home due to a mistake on our itinerary, they were awful with us, one member of staff said we could go on standby, but them amother manageer said" no and flight full, come back tomorrow", hung round airport all night, next morning flight full, still wouldnt put us standby and told us to go and book with Qatar!

emailed our agent who got us a flight with Thai Air but had to pay fares again

Terrible customer service , they were just not interested in helping us , wouldnt recommend them to anyone.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Etihad airlines

As far as the airline is concerned it's one of the best so I would have no problems flying with them but I'm not that keen on the Abu dhabi airport compared to dubai.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
107 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Etihad airlines

We flew Etihad to the Maldives last summer. I was very impressed! I think any airline that manages to make the flight a "special" experience, even for us poor sods stuck in economy ;-) is a good airline. In flight entertainment was very good - a huge selection of films, tv series and music. The food was possibly the best I've ever had on a plane, and the staff were fine. All our flights were on time.

My only complaint was the mayhem and chaos at Abu Dhabi airport. I personally prefer a bit of piece and quiet at 2 in the morning. Maybe it was just the time of night, but I found the signs quite confusing, and I was surprised that there was practically nowhere to sit because of all the people. (If that's what it's like at 2am, what's it like during the day?) But the airline? Brilliant!

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
999 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Etihad airlines

Flew Etihad a couple of years ago, (sorry but it was business class) and they performed better than Emirates....the seat and layout were better, the food was on a par and the entertainment was the same.

In fact one meal I had on the four segments flown was better than most I've had on the ground!

Would choose Etihad over Emirates in future if the fare was similar