We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping the Skycap who handles the wheelchair

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping the Skycap who handles the wheelchair

We are traveling on Saturday with a group of 13 from DFW to BLQ via EWR and FRA. My 15yo daughter has developed a painful condition in her feet called fasciitis. So I asked the travel agent to order wheel chairs for her at the airports.

He told me that a Skycap will "drive" the wheelchairs. In the US, "Skycap" usually translates into tipping. So I asked, and the travel agent said that would be a good idea.

But I know the tippiing rules are different in Europe, as in you don't do it much there. What should I do in Frankfurt and Bologna? Not tip? Tip? If so, how much?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping the Skycap who handles the wheelchair

When I travel to Europe I always tip in hotels for people that help with my bags. I would tip for this situation as well

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping the Skycap who handles the wheelchair

Tipping is not unusual in Europe, the tipping rules are certainly not different, most european countries you should tip in restaurants, hotels, bars, taxis etc,

The only difference, I would say is its not qute so expected, and nobody would say anything if you don't ( possibly a London cabbie might!) but it's definetly the done thing for good service, and in some instances just normal service.

Would you be frowned upon if you don't tip,,say you have a good meal, and just pay and leave? Possibly, yes, but they would probably not say anything to you,

In this situation, I don't know though, as I don't know sky cap.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
38,924 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping the Skycap who handles the wheelchair

By skycap do you mean an airline or airport employee who would take the wheelchair from airport to plane? If so they may be prohibited by their terms of employment from accepting tips.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,421 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping the Skycap who handles the wheelchair

At no European airports have I seen anyone tip the airport employees who navigate passengers in pushchairs to and from terminal buildings and airbridges. Neither have I seen disgruntled airport employees showing any expectation of more than 'thank you very much indeed' from the passenger and her / his companions.

In short, you need not tip.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,425 posts
474 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping the Skycap who handles the wheelchair

In Europe I would not tip an airport employee (porters excepted). More generally, I usually tip in restaurants and round up in taxis. But the restaurant tipping is somewhat different in continental Europe where in most of the cases, the service is included (whether the staff will get it is another thing). And the amount depends on the service I got.

6. Re: Tipping the Skycap who handles the wheelchair

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2014, 06:16