We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking w/ Orbitz

Calgary, Canada
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Booking w/ Orbitz

I found a great package deal on Orbitz but have never used their services before. If you have could you please tell me your experience? I would like to book with them, but when I google Orbitz reviews, all I read is doom and gloom.

361 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,243 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Booking w/ Orbitz

Edit - one thing for certain, all of this could have been avoided, had the OP checked by managing her airline booking online a week earlier.

toledo, ohio
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Booking w/ Orbitz

I did have one issue w orbitz, not a big deal, but I would say if you get an updated itinerary due to your flights changing, I would make sure that you check with the airlines website on seating. Orbitz had changed our seating and I didn't know about it until I pulled it up after I got an email saying flights had changed. The seats I picked on US Air were not the same as what showed on orbitz and orbitz would not let me change on certain flights . The customer service rep at Orbitz 1 800 543 3923 told me that it takes time to update their site with the airline and to check back again within 24 hrs. This has been the only issue so far, otherwise the price for a vacation package to Cancun was the best out there at a 5star resort along with great flight times and airline. I'm not complaining.

Edited: 29 December 2013, 19:19
Perth, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
33. Re: Booking w/ Orbitz

I researched flight to from Australia to Thailand on an Australian flight compare website and found orbitz to be advertising the cheapest flights. I then provided to book these flight to then find out they were actually quoting in US dollars therefore not the cheapest flights. I only found this out when my credit card bill came in. I needed up paying over $200 aus extra. I contacted orbitz and suggested it was not fair to advert their flights as being cheaper as they were selling their flight in US and the other companies were selling in AUS dollar. Therefore the comparison was not valid. They did say they didn't indicate the prices were in US but in the FAQS section you could find this information. I argued that this was not clear or transparent business practices and wanted some Compensation for the hidden costs I experienced. They refused to offer me anything. I feel ORBITZ operate dishonestly and want protect others from being RIPPED off!!!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
27,926 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Booking w/ Orbitz

^^^^^

That appears to me to be as much a problem with the flight comparison website. They are the ones who presented you with the Orbitz "quote".

And, in any case, I'm afraid it's another lesson to do your research and not blindly hit the "buy" button just because something appears to be cheap ..... Ah that magical mystical word!!

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Booking w/ Orbitz

I used Orbitz a couple times years ago with no problem. So last week, I tried them again. HORRIBLE. I booked airline tickets and a rental car because it was a sale and I didn't want to chance waiting. I called Orbitz customer service to get the cancellation fee. They told me if I cancelled within 24 hrs / before 10 pm the following day, there would be no fee.

The dates did not work for my travel partners. I called back that afternoon. I was informed by a different Orbitz rep that I would be refunded all but $52.96. That was THEIR fee. AND they charged my account the $3500 plus left a $3300 pending hold sitting on my account for a week. The supervisor, Tracy, would not give me her last name or cooperate. I will NOT use Orbitz again. By the way, my American Express investigated this deal and refunded my money as a courtesy.

Sydney, Australia
9 posts
Save Reply
36. Re: Booking w/ Orbitz

A word of warning if you are not a US citizen. I recently booked flights with Orbitz as it appeared cheaper than booking with the airline in Australia only to find out that prices were in $US which, with the foreign exchange fee, turned out to be MUCH more than booking directly with the airline. Nowhere did the site indicate it was in $US. I have asked Orbitz to cancel the tickets and reverse the payment and am waiting for a response. I will post outcome!

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Booking w/ Orbitz

Hopefully you made the request directly within 24 hours of booking. If so, in the US, they must refund the airfare. Thank you President Obama! Good luck, and let us know .

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Booking w/ Orbitz

Hopefully you made the request directly within 24 hours of booking. If so, in the US, they must refund the airfare

=========

isn't that only if you bought directly through an airline rather than through a third party?

Sydney, Australia
9 posts
Save Reply
39. Re: Booking w/ Orbitz

No luck with cancelling the tickets and reversing the charge.

The reply from Orbitz included the comment: "Prices on the Orbitz web site are listed in U.S. Dollars unless otherwise stated." How are you supposed to know?

When you are in Australia looking at Australian flights and hotels other travel sites I use e.g. Booking.com, make it clear what currency is being used. For purchases, many overseas sites convert their prices to $A and charge you in the local currency so that the cost to you is clear and so that there are no international transaction fees e.g. www.bookdepository.co.uk.

Orbitz does none of this and chooses not to mention anywhere that prices are in US$'s even when you input a non-US credit card for payment. Enough said, lesson learnt.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12,569 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Booking w/ Orbitz

It's a US site, of course prices will be in US dollars unless otherwise mentioned.

Reply to: Booking w/ Orbitz
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted