We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking w/ Orbitz

Calgary, Canada
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Booking w/ Orbitz

I found a great package deal on Orbitz but have never used their services before. If you have could you please tell me your experience? I would like to book with them, but when I google Orbitz reviews, all I read is doom and gloom.

442 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Booking w/ Orbitz

So how do we know it is a US site?

As I indicated in an earlier post there are lots of US and other sites that list prices in the currency of the country accessing their site and some won't allow you to purchase if you are living outside the site.

It is a simple thing in a global market where a company is seeking international business to be transparent about its pricing.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
15,038 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Booking w/ Orbitz

For one thing it's a ,com address. Their pricing is entirely transparent to me, it's not Orbitz's fault that you made a false assumption about the currency used. Most other sites that have country-specific sites with local currencies will have an indicator about which local site you are using.

43. Re: Booking w/ Orbitz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 February 2014, 18:35

44. Re: Booking w/ Orbitz

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 February 2014, 18:35

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
45. Re: Booking w/ Orbitz

Never have I had such a terrible customer service experience — it got to the point where I was actually crying on the phone, and the supervisor was rude and cold and basically said there was nothing they could do to help me. I had booked a flight and tried to cancel through the courtesy cancellation, which was valid until 11 p.m. When I went to cancel, I saw nothing about my refund so called Orbitz. Was put on hold. Tweeted at Orbitz and didn't get a response. After 45 minutes of waiting, I decided to just cancel to not miss the deadline, even though I didn't see the info about my refund. When i got through (2 hours, 5 minutes later) they told me that I couldn't be refunded because it was 11 p.m. ET not CT. I mentioned that I had tried to get through to ask but couldnt reach anyone, and they said there was nothing they could do. Now I am not able to go on my trip because it will cost me $230 to rebook on top of the difference of the flight. All I wanted to do was change the times of one of my flights in the first place! They mentioned so many times how they value their customers, but never once did anything to prove that. This was my first time using Orbitz, so I was hoping for a great experience, but companies who value their customers fix problems. They mentioned so many times how it was out of their hands and that I should give them another chance, but if it's out of the hands of Orbitz, I would rather book with someone who has the control to make things better for the customer. Book your tickets through the airlines or a different 3rd-party site, they won't make you wait 2 hours on hold (not an exagerration). I would have loved to advocate for this brand and be a repeat customer, with all the traveling my industry does. I will never again use this site, and I hope that others can learn from my experience too.

Mystic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Booking w/ Orbitz

I know this post is about Orbitz, and I'll likely get criticized for tacking this on to this thread, but I can't help but point out that odds are that when an issue that requires resolution arises, spending hours on the phone and being messed around with asking the same Q over and over by multiple untrained or not very capable customer service reps can happen with ANY third party vendor. I had much longer phone call times and no resolution from Expedia.

I wish this concept could be added as a FAQ or sticky for this forum. I see a FAQ about edreams/ Opodo etc but the way the answer is worded, folks assume the concepts therein (eg, lack of customer service support when issues arise, etc) don't necessarily apply to the presumed reputable third party sites like Orbitz or Expedia. When researching before booking, even using the forum search function, one could get the impression that the people with customer service complaints are given little credibility and are just lazy or stupid. While that may indeed be a fair assessment in numerous posts, it makes it difficult to get a good picture of the reality of the situation that I learned by experience. That is, Expedia and orbitz are perfectly fine, until you have a problem and then odds are they're not.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
15,038 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Booking w/ Orbitz

People book because it's cheap and are then complain when customer service is bare-bone.

Mystic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Booking w/ Orbitz

I didn't book because it was cheap, I booked because it was, as the marketing agents of the company intended me to think, "Expedient". I had a customer profile already entered with them and use their site to search across multiple airline schedules and when I found the one that suited me it is most "expedient" to book that way.

So the lesson is that convenience ( not just looking for cheapo fares) comes with a price. I fell into that trap as many many do, and I'm not above admitting mea culpa. I truly did not anticipate that Expedia customer service would be as abysmal as it was, since I had not had any problems with them ( or Orbtiz) before and did not see any dire or frequent warnings (like I do for edreams, etc). No, I did dn't read through old posts to dig out the info that I now know from experience, but even in hindsight the pitfalls are not as evident for Expedia or Travelocity, for example, as they are for the blatantly "bad" ones. (Try a search on Expedia in the Forum search and see what I mean - my post from a month ago is not anywhere to be found on the first 3 pages of the search, even though I has used Expedia as the first word in my thread title).

I know the regulars will say " shoulda known better", so feel free to have at it so that if or until there is a sticky, we can keep the topic available for new travelers that don't know that they have to read multiple posts from several months or years ago to get the info they need and weed out the ones where the OP made an obvious mistake.

49. Re: Booking w/ Orbitz

Removed on: 16 February 2014, 08:35

50. Re: Booking w/ Orbitz

Removed on: 16 February 2014, 08:35

Reply to: Booking w/ Orbitz
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted