We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking w/ Orbitz

Calgary, Canada
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Booking w/ Orbitz

I found a great package deal on Orbitz but have never used their services before. If you have could you please tell me your experience? I would like to book with them, but when I google Orbitz reviews, all I read is doom and gloom.

448 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,512 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: Booking w/ Orbitz

Sighs!

Looks like we've got ourselves another dumping thread for a third party booker, with rants totally unconnected to air travel.

Grandma, book Days Inn stays with Days Inn. Orbtiz doesn't control the weather.

Edited: 16 February 2014, 07:54
Saint Charles...
1 post
Save Reply
52. Re: Booking w/ Orbitz

I used the 150VACA coupon to save $150 off my trip and it worked just fine, however the screen timed out before I could hit submit on my trip and so I re-booked everything but I was rushing due to the plane tickets being the last ones and did not apply my coupon. I called customer support to have this resolved and the first supervisor I talked to was extremely rude. He told me that coupon wouldn't work due to my flight + hotel only being $963 but I explained to him that I had the Universal Studios package for around $400 that increased my trip cost to $1300 which allowed me to apply the coupon. He told my I was wrong and he tried it himself on my same vacation package and it not work. He said he could not help me. I explained to him I had already used the coupon and it worked and he basically called me a liar. I then told him I would take my business elsewhere and not shop at Orbitz again and he could care less. After this phone call I decided to try my coupon again with the same package equaling $963 for the hotel + flight and then included the Universal Studios to equal over $1300 low and behold, the coupon worked just as I said it would. I looked at the description for the coupon and it said "Save $150 on flight + hotel vacation packages" which Universal Studios is part of the package. The coupon did not say anything about excluding activities like the first supervisor said. So I called back and got a different supervisor that resolved my issue in ten minutes. Although due to being on the phone for over 2 and a half hours with them I ended up having to pay $40 extra for the flight which was available when I talked to the first supervisor but sold out when I talked to the second which made my savings $110 rather than $150.

The first agent I spoke with was very courteous he tried for a full hour to fix my problem but did not have the authority to resolve it since he was not a supervisor. If I return to Orbitz again, and that is a big IF, it would be solely due to his excellent customer service and due to the second supervisor partially resolving my issue. The first supervisor I talked to needs to understand the saying "the customer is always right" or learn how to put coupon codes in a computer correctly.

Still no compensation was made for my 2 and a half hour wait and the loss of my original flight costing me $40 extra. After this headache I will more than likely be taking my business elsewhere. I would have cancelled the vacation completely but they would not refund me my $400 for the Universal studios and charged me a $38 dollar cancellation fee. I didn't want to loose the money so I just stayed with Orbitz.

Brooklyn, New York...
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: Booking w/ Orbitz

Advertised fares for flights with stopovers were $685 - the stopover happened to be appx 3.5hrs, so I opted for the $785 fare with a 2 hour layover as I had flown this leg before & chose not to put my daughter travelling alone on such an arduous journey. SOMEHOW - we were given the 3.5hr layover at the the higher price. Orbitz refused to stand behind the advertised prices and explicitly said there was NO GLITCH in the system... well, the glitch is there - and I am being charged for flights I am now being told never existed - so why would I spend the extra $100??? This was my 2nd and LAST negative experience with Orbitz. There are plenty of other travel sites and apps or engines that can do a much better job...

perth
Level Contributor
4 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: Booking w/ Orbitz

So did they charge a conversion fee as well .I would have thought American exchange on $1000 would be only $100??

Philadelphia...
1 post
Save Reply
55. Re: Booking w/ Orbitz

Booking with Orbit may be fine, as long as you do not have any flight delays, missed flights, etc. Once you do, you will not find anyone to help you. Today, I missed my flight (that was my fault) from Philadelphia to Toronto on Air Canada. There was another flight later in the afternoon. I tried to rebook it on the orbitz.com, but it instructed to call them. I called and as soon as the rep on Orbitz heard about the problem he transferred to another agent. I hung on to the telephone for about 30 minutes (I was desperate) before giving up. I tried to find a way to do it on the website again, but to no avail. I called again, and discussed my problem with the agent (who is primarily interested in booking a flight) and pleaded to rebook the flight, but he transferred to the (fictitious?) customer service anyway. I waited again for 30 minutes before hanging up.

I will never book another flight with Orbitz.

Portland, Oregon
1 post
Save Reply
56. Re: Booking w/ Orbitz

Hi there. A great company to me is not one that is free of problems, but one that will do everything to make sure you want to come back when the problem is addressed. While Orbitz may have choices, once your money is with them, you can never get it back. Life happens, I tried to cancel my flight a month early. I was offered a "cancellation" with "no problems"; however, it would be just a credit of the ticket price. To be used in one year, on the SAME airline, on ONE booking. Meaning, my credit is $602, but if I book a $200 flight (the $402 is gone. Just gone.) The insurance is not worth it's weight in pixels. You have to have a serious, documented medical emergency to "possibly" get your money back. We've lost $200+ on a hotel reservation we couldn't make because I was sick - and they wouldn't even simply change to a different date. Travelocity, on the other hand, while not as highly rated, quickly, easily, and courteously refunded the full cost of a $1000 ticket. -- Just consider, when you have a choice - go with the company that values you and your business. Orbitz does neither.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,512 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: Booking w/ Orbitz

"I was offered a "cancellation" with "no problems"; however, it would be just a credit of the ticket price. To be used in one year, on the SAME airline, on ONE booking. Meaning, my credit is $602, but if I book a $200 flight (the $402 is gone. Just gone.) "

Jessica,

Those are the rules of the AIRLINE, not Orbitz. Orbtiz simply acts as a booking agent. The money goes to the airline, and the airline is not going to bend its fare rules just because the flight was booked through a third party.

If you got a "better" deal on a flight through another agent, in all likelihood the ticket you booked then had different fare rules.

Level Contributor
1 post
27 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: Booking w/ Orbitz

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I've never found a third party site that is any cheaper than the actual airline website itself. Even if you book a package deal with accommodation you can always do that as cheap as well I believe independently. I would be much happier using third party site for accommodation than flights. I have a keen eye for a bargain when it comes to travelling and I believe if you look around you can stay at the better hotels for extremely good rates

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,761 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: Booking w/ Orbitz

Hi,

"Please correct me if I'm wrong but I've never found a third party site that is any cheaper than the actual airline website itself."

==> You *can* find agents who have lower fares than the carrier or it's own in-house sales channels... but... this overall is a trend that's only getting smaller.

In some markets, I can think of a few here in Bangkok and in Honolulu, where large volume local agents have done "block purchases" of seats from carriers, between key markets- and as such can re-sell them to customers at better rates than the carrier itself..

Here too, in order to avail of that lower-than-airline-direct price, you've usually got to fly between only those markets that the agent has secured seats on, and can often come with date/flight restrictions and/or steep change/cancel restrictions.

But... the overwhelming and clear industry movement has been for carriers to keep the absolute lowest fares in-house and sold near exclusively via their own sales channels - thus helping to reduce distribution costs.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 30 March 2014, 03:10
Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: Booking w/ Orbitz

I would NOT book with Orbitz. Look for the same deal withExpedia or try doing it independently. Particularly if your package includes flight or hotel arrangements. My experience withOrbitz (and I have been traveling more than 25 years) is that they are fine until they get your money. The reps are either misinformed or lack proper training. When they "misrepresent" the truth--and you lose money--the management says "prove it" and tough luck.

I say they are the bottom dwellers of third party discount companies.

Reply to: Booking w/ Orbitz
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted