We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proposed changes to EU261

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,711 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Proposed changes to EU261

telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transpo…

This would supersede EU261/2004 and subsequent "interpretations" by the ECJ, such as the three hour delay compensation ("Sturgeon") ruling.

The interesting bit is at the bottom ....

" Other concessions will see airlines not having to pay compensation until a flight is delayed by at least five hours – two hours more than at present.

Under the current system, the right to compensation after only three hours made it more worthwhile for an airline to cancel the flight and save the cost of paying crew overtime, fuel and airport charges. "

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Proposed changes to EU261

See I am a slower typist than you USBT :-)

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,711 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Proposed changes to EU261

if I were you I'd blame it on the slower bandwidth in Romania :-)

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,490 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Proposed changes to EU261

If this encourages airlines to meet their obligations without significant hassle for passengers it's probably a move in the right direction - amongst another points I noted the following:

"For example, carriers will be banned from charging passengers a fee to correct a misspelling of their name."

The fact that ane new EU law is not expected until early 2015 means that 2013/14 will still see a lot of arguements about EU261.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
338 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Proposed changes to EU261

"However, the companies will no longer have to compensate for delays or cancellations caused by severe weather or strikes..."

Doh!!

Let's wait until later today when Siim Kallas presents the proposals in full rather than rely on usual inaccuracies by journalists when reporting on air passenger rights.

>>>The fact that ane new EU law is not expected until early 2015 means that 2013/14 will still see a lot of arguements about EU261.<<<

And you think the new Regulation will stop the arguments...!

Edited: 13 March 2013, 09:15
Llandudno North...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Proposed changes to EU261

The main problem at the moment seems to be, very few airlines are fulfilling their obligations and are refusing to pay until a court date is set causing more trouble than its worth for the passenger.

I doubt this change will make much difference at all.

:-)

6. Re: Proposed changes to EU261

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 13 March 2013, 09:26
Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Proposed changes to EU261

Will this change give Ryanair enough time to plan and introduce new and exciting charges for passengers?

Looks like the toilet tax will make a reappearance !!

Regards

Jim

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,764 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Proposed changes to EU261

The right to flight with 330ml of mineral water seem missing.

2 Liter of liquor is ok, steel fork and knife are ok.

The mineral water lobby must be very powerful.

I suppose they have already demonstrated how to blew up an A380 with 330ml of water...

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
338 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Proposed changes to EU261

Full text of press release from the EU on the new proposals here: europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-13-203_en…

Some good, some not so good, would like to see the details on what more effective enforcement there will be but am not anticipating anything different (in the UK att least).

Sanctions for not informing passengers of their rights within 30 minutes after the scheduled departure time unlikely as there are currently no sanctions for not informing passengers of their rights at check in.

The extension of time within which the airlines can delay passengers without compensation has been extended which rebalances the current 3 hour limit.

Rights to correct mis-spelled names on bookings is good, as is the right to fly a return leg of a round trip without having had to fly the outbound leg.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,199 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Proposed changes to EU261

Looks pretty good to me.