We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I no longer require a second connecting flight?

Adelaide
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
I no longer require a second connecting flight?

I have booked a flight through Expedia. Adelaide - Sydney- San Francisco - Orlando. Return orlando - LA - Sydney - Adelaide.

I kindly contacted Expedia advising my travel plans have changed and I won't be needing the San Fran to Orlando flight as I will be staying in San Fran an extra day. They have informed me that if I'm a "no show" they will cancel my return flight automatically. I have made other travel arrangements and didn't realise it was a big deal to not take the last part of the flight and the first part of the return flight home. I was just going to join the flight in LA on the way home.

I was just going to go to the airport and advise them I won't be needing the entire flight, not asking for any only or anything... Now I don't know what to do? I didn't know this would happen there is nothing in the terms and conditions to explain this... Can someone assist me? Has anyone had this problem before? I'm glad I asked now and not got stuck in another country not being able to get home.. Expedia tell me it's not their problem but can't provide anything in writing to advise of such policy... Help :-)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,577 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I no longer require a second connecting flight?

It's standard procedure and will almost certainly be made clear in the T&C of the airline you booked with. You only have two options. Either you complete your original itinerary and buy a new flight from Orlando to San Francisco or you have entire itinerary re-ticketed. Ask Expedia what the price would be and then make a decision about which option is better.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
13,100 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I no longer require a second connecting flight?

Contact the airline directly and see what if anything they can do for you. Its common policy for the airlines to drop the remainder of your reservation if you no show for any part of it.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,577 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I no longer require a second connecting flight?

"Contact the airline directly and see what if anything they can do for you."

The OP can try of course but I'd say it's 99% sure they'll refer him back to Expedia since he booked through them.

Edited: 14 March 2013, 11:22
Adelaide
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: I no longer require a second connecting flight?

United have said to Expedia they have authorisation to make the changes.. But the flight changes are a cheaper price so they can't fix it.. I said just charge me the same amount I don't care... I risk cancellation loosing the lot then booking another fare... Absolutely ridiculous

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,577 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I no longer require a second connecting flight?

Call Expedia again. If the ticket can be changed under airline T&C there's no reason they shouldn't be able to make the changes.

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,236 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I no longer require a second connecting flight?

As Lex pointed out,it is standard practice with most airlines,and put in their terms and conditions to avoid "hidden city ticketing".

Expedia shoud be able to reprice your itinary,but if not you will need to take the flights as booked or the rest of your reservstion will be cancelled.

Did you read the t and c's or just click accept?

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I no longer require a second connecting flight?

The only thing you can do is get on all the legs of flights you have booked or your other legs will automatically get cancelled, it's standard procedure with all airlines if you don't get on one of the flight legs all the others are cancelled so it's either that or you book new flights.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I no longer require a second connecting flight?

They have informed me that if I'm a "no show" they will cancel my return flight automatically. I have made other travel arrangements and didn't realise it was a big deal to not take the last part of the flight and the first part of the return flight home.

------

They are right, it IS a big deal. And you cant get out of it by going to the airport. You MIGHT be able to get them to reprice at the airport but that will be very expensive indeed compared to doing it in advance.

When you ticked that box that you agreed to the terms and conditions , one if the conditions was that you'd fly all the flights, in that order. There are good reasons for this, but irrespective of whether you agree with them or not or find them ridiculous, it is what it is.

So get it repriced, or buy new tickets for the return leg or change your arrangements.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,564 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I no longer require a second connecting flight?

Hi,

The others are right..

The part that many don't realize is that you're not really buying a ticket-- like movie ticket.. You're entering into a contract.. and that contract is between to specifically named parties- you as the passenger, and the airline.. Unlike movie ticket or concert ticket, airline 'tickets' are rarely fully and freely transferable to someone else, other than the original buyer.

As a part of that contract you entered into, you agreed to travel to a certain point(s), on certain dates, and in a certain class of cabin.. The airline then gave you, and you accepted, the price for that travel given these three basic variables.

So, while it may *seem* like you're not using 'less' of their product so-to-speak, the reality is that you're changing the terms of the contract to which you both agreed to-- by wanting to skip/not travel on one or more of the sections of your agreement..

Therefore, in doing so, the airline now retains the contractual right(s) to cancel your agreement (your onward flights) or re-price the contract to reflect your new travel plans.

Travel Safe,

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,608 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I no longer require a second connecting flight?

Yes and this situation is excatly why it is NOT ALWAYS a good idea to book everything on one ticket!