We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Major Travel/United Airlines

UK
Level Contributor
284 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Major Travel/United Airlines

Hi All,

Looking to book return flights from lhr to miami.

Major travel has them at £40 each cheaper than on the United site.

Does anyone know if I can select seats with major? Also looking to upgrade to premium economy, which I believe you can only do after the booking process?

Thanks!!!!

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Major Travel/United Airlines

The other agency may or may not be including all fees & taxes.

I would always book with the airline. Peace of mind is worth much more than £40 to me.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Major Travel/United Airlines

Ditto post 1. I wouldn't be at all confident that £40 was genuine and would still be there when you got to the end of the booking process and even if it was, if you look at all the issues here with having to have airline and agency talk to each other in case of any change at all, including schedule changes, I wouldn't do it.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Major Travel/United Airlines

Cut and paste from the Major website:

<<Our prices are only correct at the time of the search.

Airlines cannot guarantee flight prices until you have completed the booking process. This means that fares can change due to availability with customers who have booked and paid.

Prices are not guaranteed until full payment has been completed and confirmation invoice has been emailed to you. >>

They've given themselves plenty of 'room' to up the price between when you first see it and when you actually get it.

UK
Level Contributor
284 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Major Travel/United Airlines

Thanks all!!

You've convinced me!!

I'll definitely book with the airline. £80 isn't going to break the bank, especially when the combined price for 2 is coming to almost £1200 anyway,!!!!

Cheers again.

5. Re: Major Travel/United Airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 March 2013, 17:41
UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Major Travel/United Airlines

<<Its a shame that the 'travelling public' will not support agents more, they are the ones who keep the airlines keen on price.>>

Its other airlines that keep them "keen on price" Agencies, for the most part, add hassle and cost.

<<If the airlines dominate the selling price it will surely only go up in the long run.>

So you dont think Ryanair or Easyjet or even (showing my age) Laker Skytrain brought prices down? You thinks its scammers like eDreams? I'd say they keep prices HIGH, because they give the illusion of lower prices, whilst in fact actually charging the same or more!

<<I could have a great evening out with 40 quid>>

In that case a good reason to book with the airline, since you are more likely to pay £40 more (that £40 is likely a lie) , or even lose 10x or more that, eg your entire ticket, by booking with many of the agencies frequently criticized in here.

uk
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Major Travel/United Airlines

Prices are kept keen by competition, agents bring competition to the customer.

Agents bring knowledge to the customer.

SkyTrain I understand wound up owing 250 million some of which would have been customer monies.

The low cost model aims to offer lower flight price in return for less service both on board , at airports and with customer service. There have been a trail of low cost failures resulting in consumer loss, Agents have to offer financial protection to the customer (ATOL) ,which airlines do not.

Financial protection and often the same or better price seems a good deal to me.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Major Travel/United Airlines

Prices are kept keen by competition, agents bring competition to the customer.

======

Where's the "keeping prices keen" element when third parties charging double the price for a flight than booked with the airline directly, or even when they charge the same or more because their fees add more to the cost than they save?

Where's the "keeping prices keen" element when a customer loses their entire ticket price because teh third party wont change a ticket in time , due to their running on a shoe-string nature?

Where's the "keeping prices keen" element when the third party plays tricks such as selling two one ways as a return and then refunds only one leg?

Agents dont bring "competition to the customer", they bring hassle, confusion, complexity, worry. Not all of them of course. Just most.

I could go on, but then I don't ahve an axe to grind like you, just years of seeing poorly informed, naive or frankly idiotic customers losing some or all of their ticket price, or merely paying over inflated prices, to third party agencies. Not that all third party agencies are all bad. Just most.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
18,037 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Major Travel/United Airlines

"Prices are kept keen by competition, agents bring competition to the customer."

___

How do these third party agents bring competition to the airlines? Are they now providing flights themselves?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Major Travel/United Airlines

If I were you, I would strongly AVOID flying on United. There are other better European airlines servicing Miami from Heathrow.

Just my recommendation, specially if you are only saving £40; those £40 are well worth spent in any other UK airline (BA or Virgin Atlantic). United's service is bad, planes are old and seats uncomfortable, and not to mention inedible food/happy meal boxes in Economy.