We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cancelling flights

Launceston...
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
cancelling flights

can anyone offer advice on the ludicrous situation we find ourselves in.

booked a Princess cruise on the Med. Paid for it and the flights and accomodation to get there. Princess cancelled the cruise sighting rescheduling as the reason. We have had to cancel all our flights with Emirates which was booked Through Zuji. Zuji have charged us over a thousand dollars for the cancellation and what's more have told us we will have to wait 18 weeks for the refund. ZUJI ! take my advice don't touch this ripoff mob with a barge pole!

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cancelling flights

Advice on what?

Presumably you were aware that you had purchased airfares with cancellation fees and that zuji, the agent, would charge a processing fee as well? 18 weeks does sound a bit extreme, but zuji will have to wait unitl it gets the refund from the airline, so there is an element of double-handling involved. Have you spoken to your travel insurance provider?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: cancelling flights

You are lucky to get anything back, most airlines would only refund taxes (and I mean TAXES, not fees or charges).

I presume you have already checked your travel insurance to see if you can claim from that.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,581 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cancelling flights

If you booked the flights separate from the cruise, then why do Zuji, and the airline have to give you a refund?

Claim it on your travel insurance. You did get travel insurance, didn't you?

Llandudno North...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cancelling flights

Maybe worth seeing if your travel insurance has anything that covers a situation like this.

The flight cancellation charges can often be the whole fare and you just get taxes back. This could be what's happened.

How much notice did princess cruises give you? Have you written to them and told them the costs you 've incurred?

:-)

Launceston...
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cancelling flights

Thanks for your reply. I guess I reacted rather than acted. Just angry.

I will pursue all avenus including writing to Princess, the notice they gave was simply an email saying 'cruise cancelled' they will refund the total amount (of course) but it's all the messing around and trying to organise a new cruise.......................oh well , cest la vie

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cancelling flights

can anyone offer advice on the ludicrous situation we find ourselves in.

------

Certainly. Understand that when you booked through Zuji, I presume it wasn't just for the heck of it, but that there was a benefit to you, I'm guessing that benefit was lower prices than booking direct.

That benefit did not come for free, there were conditions attached. Usually one of those conditions would be that there is no refund at all, whatsoever, period, full stop.

So firstly you were very lucky there is any refund (I'm guessing that's luck and not that you deliberately chose a third party that had refundable tickets?), and secondly you need to realise the situation you find yourself in is one you put yourself in.

You chose not to use the cruises flights, you chose Zuji, you chose your insurance, and frankly you lucked out, with tickets that were refundable..

So its your responsibility for being in this ludicrous position. And your good luck.

:-)

uk
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cancelling flights

Just as a point of interest, I have a cruise booked with Cunard, now customers that are from the UK have to submit their travel insurance details company name and phone number before we can travel, no insurance no travel, its very clear in the t&cs. Customers from the USA don't have to have travel insurance not sure about other countries. The amount of

people on Cunard forum from USA that DON'T

Have insurance is staggering!

The only advice to OP is claim on travel insurance if you have it and if policy allows!

Deb

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
946 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cancelling flights

I think the OP is upset over the 18 week timeframe for the refund. It is excessive by all accounts and would upset me as well.

Launceston...
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cancelling flights

all right enough already. Of course I have travel insurance. ................i get the message..buyer beware...please no more replies...ian

Melbourne, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: cancelling flights

Booked 2 tickets through FlyVietnam.com yesterday 20/02/14, today I found much cheaper flights and i could use my Qantas frequent flying points to make the trip to Vietnam even cheaper again. The original tickets cost me USD$3900 for the 2 tickets. I had no idea I was booking premium economy for a start, or that the cost was in US dollars. The flights were USD$1500 each plus an enormous amount of taxes on each ticket. I emailed the company in Vietnam and rang them a couple of times. They were reasonably prompt, but they told me the cancellation fee would be USD$140 per ticket plus a bank fee of USD$310. Apparently that then added up to USD$592 (work that out!). Doesn't add up!! So the up shot of all this is they will reimburse me USD$3308, but I am still out of pocket USD$592 (approx. AUD$665). A lot of money in anyone's language. My advice is to read everything in the contract before you commit your credit card details and steer clear of this company, it's a rip off!