We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is this too much to pack?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
310 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
is this too much to pack?

The trip:

3 weeks in Rome, Naples, Salerno, first three weeks of April, so warm-ish days, cold nights, possibility of rain. Typical sightseeing during day, some nicer restaurants, theatre, etc at night. Prefer to look reasonably put-together (my hostelling days are over).

The packing list:

2 pairs jeans

3 pairs "smart casual" pants

4 long-sleeve t-shirts

3 nicer tank tops to wear with 3 nicer cardigans

3 nicer turtleneck sweaters

1 short cotton trenchcoat (for day)

1 leather jacket (for night)

couple fashion-y scarves, a few accessories

various footwear & undergarments to see me through

Too much? Just right? It is 21 days after all....

Canada
Level Contributor
4,725 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: is this too much to pack?

I tend to over pack so can sympathise with your dilemma. Shoes are a major space -occupier and I refuse to wear one pair day and night. I need walking shoes, somewhat dressy shoes, very dressy....and thats just for summer!!

I think more important than packing is availability of a laundry. If you can get to a laundry once a week or so that makes a huge difference - a good reason to self-cater or stay at an American chain hotel that sometimes offer self-serve laundry facilities.

I am doing a two week cruise and then a week in France, next month, and am already fretting about packing.

My family were in Italy last April and it was very cold and rainy.

Edited: 21 March 2013, 12:52
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,259 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: is this too much to pack?

I tend to take six sets of everything and launder on the fifth day. Everything is colour coordinated. Most of my pants are black as a legacy of my former job so I would take

six pairs smart casual pants

six smart casual tops- dressy t shirts, polo shirts, short sleeve blouses

two nice cardigans

two light thermal tops (you can wear them under a short sleeved top with a cardigan, no-one will see the thermal sleeves)

the light trenchcoat

the leather jacket if you really think it will be that cold but I would leave it at home and if it really did turn out to be that cold it would be an excuse to buy something ;-)

a couple of scarves

Also it's amazing what you can do with an inexpensive pashmina bought on the spot :-)

Don't take anything you'll only wear once.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
310 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: is this too much to pack?

These replies are providing an interesting look into other people's travel habits!

Quebec City
Level Contributor
612 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: is this too much to pack?

This is indeed a fascinating thread! My husband and I have traveled in Europe on two-week trips, with only one carry-on-sized suitcase each, yet brought clothes that we never laundered. We wore pants/shorts/skirts (in my case, lol!) 2 or 3 times, different t-shirts/shirts every day (never wore tops more than once). And still had room left to bring back a boardgame, and several souvenirs. I guess my husband really is the packing King! I would panic bringing only what you have in your list!

Everyone does travel differently!

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: is this too much to pack?

That's way too much in my opinion.

For me the one thing I give up space/weight for is shoes. I always take at least 2 pairs of very comfortable walking shoes, plus other types as required by each trip, such as hiking books or sandals. I find we walk so much my feet like the break of not having to wear the same pair of shoes everyday.

I find that layering means we pack less.

ktown

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
310 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: is this too much to pack?

On one 10-day trip to Iceland, I took a big suitcase and it was FULL. Which sounds crazy, but I needed to take certain things for all the activities I was doing: horseback riding, whitewater rafting, hiking. Plus a bunch of warm clothes, obviously, so that added bulk.

Then I fell off a horse and cracked my ribs on the third day and never ended up doing the other stuff!

Tees Valley
Level Contributor
11,906 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: is this too much to pack?

This rare insight into what other women (in particular) pack, fascinates me. I'm beginning to feel incredibly indulgent and in need of packing tips! I think I must have a touch of the Imelda Marcos syndrome...but then I consulted other female friends and realise they're the same and it's much about the kind of holiday you take.

Your holidays sounds full of walking/sightseeing/adventure Melissa and that does require a bigger range of clothes. Except when your fall off horses obviously! Ouch!

My 20 kg allowance is usually fully utilised for 7 days but I don't have to lug it around with me. Only to the airport and back. Perhaps I need a Sherpa?

Jules

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
310 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: is this too much to pack?

Jules, I fully support any woman's (or any man's, for that matter) practice to take as many shoes as she deems necessary/desirable. The right shoes for a hard day's sightseeing won't be right for a nice dress-up dinner and vice-versa. Also, I think it's better for your feet to switch up your shoes.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: is this too much to pack?

Hi Melissa,

I say take what you feel happy with,other wise your going to be thinking i should have...Obviously taking into consideration type of holiday, climate and the weight.This is how i decide. (i know yours a different type holiday/climate that time of year) Might help! We holiday in Spain, June/Sept, so pretty much similar,same type clothes for that time of year.When we did the 14 nights, I'd start with,12 outfits for the evening, and 12 for the day time, taking into consideration that special outfit if needed, so that would cover the duration, wearing a couple things twice. However, now a day's,I've, got it down to 8, wearing 6 outfits twice,bearing in mind the time we arrive and leave. I now think weight, then remember the clothes i brought home not worn,and why did i bother in the first place?. Process of elimination worked for me.Write everything down on paper,and go from their.You need to feel comfortable with what you've chosen.Remember it is 21 days after all Lol.

Have a great vacation!

Margaurite

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,561 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: is this too much to pack?

I still don't know what a tank top is. It's obviously something you wear under a cardigan so maybe a vest top?