We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Canada Vacations Bait and switch tactics.

Hamilton, Canada
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Air Canada Vacations Bait and switch tactics.

A group of eight travellers booked a trip with Air Canada Vacations from Toronto to Varadero Cuba. We paid more to travel to our destinations by choosing Air Canada simply due to the flight times. Out Departure is April 28th 7:00am and our return was May 5th at 9:45pm. We booked and paid more to travel at those times. Just got a call from AC vacations informing me that the return flight has been changed to 10:25am. We just lost a full day of Vacation and our desire to go. Our flight number got changed so in effect our original flight was cancelled and we were put on another flight I inquired about cancelling the entire trip for the group and an ACV representative and they said that it would cost me 500.00 in penalties..

Since i got a new flight number for the return flight that would mean that my original flight was cancelled would it not? And if so.. why would there be a penalty on my part if they do that.

Neve Again with Air Canada Vacations.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,805 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Canada Vacations Bait and switch tactics.

"Since i got a new flight number for the return flight that would mean that my original flight was cancelled would it not?"

I have had flight number changes with other airlines with and without actual time changes so I don't think you can assume your original flight has been cancelled. If might have been but equally it might simply have been rescheduled.

Without checking them this is probably in line with the terms and conditions - schedule changes can and do happen with all airlines.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
358 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Canada Vacations Bait and switch tactics.

Our flight from Wellington to Melbourne had a major time change two weeks after booking (changed from 1530 to 0600 departure) and Air NZ were great in how they dealt with us - we changed our route so we're now flying Wellington/Auckland then Auckland/Melbourne.

Could you do a similar thing?

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Canada Vacations Bait and switch tactics.

Sorry but its ridiculous, and I use the word deliberately, to say that AC did this deliberately to entice you into buying a vacation you otherwise wouldn't have. That's what bait and switch means.

It's certainly unfortunate, and I don't know your consumer laws, seems to me you may have other options - will AC extend your vacation by another day? Can you try going up the "chain of command" in AC to see if you can get a full refund on the grounds they have substantially changed the timing? Are there consumer advocate organisations that will help you?

I don't think you have helped your case with your over dramatic headline. Don't use it again if you ent to be taken seriously.

Canada
Level Contributor
5,158 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Canada Vacations Bait and switch tactics.

You know with all-inclusives the last day is a bit of a bust anyway. If you're lucky the resort will give you a room to change and shower in and you can spend the day by the pool, but usually you have to check out and then hang around until your transportation to the airport.

..and I agree with Joe, this is not a bait-and-switch, its a change that is probably quite within the terms and conditions. Its annoying but there ya go...

Canada
Level Contributor
5,158 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Canada Vacations Bait and switch tactics.

<<<We reserve the right to cancel or substitute travel services with a comparable alternative at our discretion and Air Canada Vacations will advise you within a reasonable amount of time prior to your departure of any such a cancelation or change. >>>

Its there in black and white!!!

Edited: 20 March 2013, 22:37
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Canada Vacations Bait and switch tactics.

I'd say a comparable alternative is not a flight 11 hours earlier (effectively an entire vacation day).

Canada
Level Contributor
5,158 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Canada Vacations Bait and switch tactics.

Air Canada would probably beg to differ...

Its pretty ambiguous, but its not a bait and switch. I have only had good experiences with ACV so not sure what they're up to. I wonder if OP asked about other options or just got all dramatic and demanded to cancel.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air Canada Vacations Bait and switch tactics.

I wouldn't get all in a panic about that flight yet as the flight at 10.55am is showing canceled with AC as well from VRA-YYZ. I would call them back and see what they are doing because things still seem to be changing.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,763 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Air Canada Vacations Bait and switch tactics.

Aloha,

>>>>>I'd say a comparable alternative is not a flight 11 hours earlier (effectively an entire vacation day).<<<<<

Exactly what i was thinking.

Take it up the chain of command very calmly. I would not want to lose one of my vacation days either.

There was a similar thread recently where the company (AAV) did offer to refund without penalty.

Was the original flight cancelled, overbooked, or what? Most airlines consider 11 hrs a significant change. The problem is most likely the fact that ACV is involved, which is complicating matters much more than the situation would be if you were dealing with AC directly. Third part\y agencies often seem to lack incentive for creative problem solving.

Are there any other flights available which would work for you?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,679 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air Canada Vacations Bait and switch tactics.

Hi,

I kind of agree with the others in that 11hrs I don't think would be comparable-- but .... I do also think that this varies on the market we're talking about.. By that I mean some markets-- notably the very long-haul sectors like (as example only) US->SYD and the like; where the simply is either once-a-day service or all carriers who fly that sector operate at nearly identical times.

I also think that the term "bait and switch" is probably not applicable... To me, for it to be as such, then AC Vacations would have to have known-- at the time the OP booked--that they were going to intentionally switch or change their flights after the OP purchased-- and while I can't prove they didn't do this, it can't be proven they did either... so it's largely speculation to that end.

I also note that the notion of flight number changes-- and this is just flight number changes, not times etc-- is very common and is can be done for strategic marketing/sales reasons as well as some internal operational ones..

Just as example, if AC were to have a YYZ-YVR flight AC 123 and another YVR-PEK flight AC 456, if they changed the YYZ-YVR flight from 123 to 456, they could now advertise they have both non-stop YYZ-YVE service *as well as* now also having *direct* YYZ-PEK service..

So, from a marketing basis, it makes sense why they'd want or even need to renumber flights over time.

I agree with the others that a clam approach to the carrier or agent looking for alternatives is probably your best and most productive avenue to explore.

Travel Safe,