We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Qantas so much worst than Singapore airlines?

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
870 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Is Qantas so much worst than Singapore airlines?

Hi

Hope you guys can help me out on this. There's 3 of us travelling from Singapore to christchurch this June. I don't mind buying round trip if it is cheaper but I'd prefer one way.

On SQ it will cost us about $4000. On Qantas, it'll be $2200 with one stop over in Sydney. I was very keen but a few friends have totally given up on Qantas and advice me against it. I've not flown qantas before. always fly SQ. one time I fly north-west instead of SQ was terrible and I definitely don't want to repeat that.

I've read some of the old threads. Some like Qantas, some don't. I'm hoping their service has improved as its so much cheaper than SQ.

Can you tell me if the qantas FA are still grouchy?

Can we choose seats on qantas as easily as we do on SQ?

Does qantas overbook and routinely bum ppl off?

For stopover in Sydney for qantas, can we choose to stay for 3-4 days in Sydney?

Take care and thanks

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
870 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Is Qantas so much worst than Singapore airlines?

Yeah, 4k is quite high considering I bought 3 return tickets for our april trip for $3500 during promo. If they have a promo again I may get cheap return ticket and throw the return portion. I think for one way ticket, it's 4k b'cos the ticket doesn't have much restriction.

One other attraction of Qatas is a short Sydney holiday. I'll have to call them up and see if it is possible w/o extra charge.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Is Qantas so much worst than Singapore airlines?

You could have another holiday with that price difference, I wouldn't consider SQ if that's the difference in price even if the service is better but it seems a bit high to me.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Is Qantas so much worst than Singapore airlines?

Also I would check out the airlinequality reviews on the same route with both airlines

www.airlinequality.com

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
870 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Is Qantas so much worst than Singapore airlines?

Thanks Chrella :-)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Is Qantas so much worst than Singapore airlines?

Put it this way, we paid for an annual Qantas lounge pass, booked a family holiday through Qantas and then we were denied access to the lounge which we pay $485 a year for because Qantas printed our ticket through the air Vanuatu flight number instead of the Qantas flight number , we then spent 50 minutes on the phone to Qantas on our mobile and after being out on hold 3 times for 15 minutes at a time we were told " bad luck" I will never fly with Qantas again and we will be going to the fair trading dept to get a refund on our Qantas club lounge pass that they take our money for but deny us access. What company treats " customers " like that!!' Absolute joke!!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Is Qantas so much worst than Singapore airlines?

Put it this way, we paid for an annual Qantas lounge pass, booked a family holiday through Qantas and then we were denied access to the lounge which we pay $485 a year for because Qantas printed our ticket through the air Vanuatu flight number instead of the Qantas flight number , we then spent 50 minutes on the phone to Qantas on our mobile and after being out on hold 3 times for 15 minutes at a time we were told " bad luck" I will never fly with Qantas again and we will be going to the fair trading dept to get a refund on our Qantas club lounge pass that they take our money for but deny us access. What company treats " customers " like that!!' Absolute joke!!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,202 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Is Qantas so much worst than Singapore airlines?

Do you talk about US$ or about S$?

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Is Qantas so much worst than Singapore airlines?

there is nothing wrong with Qantas. It is a good airline with a great safety record.

White Beach...
Destination Expert
for Tasmania
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Is Qantas so much worst than Singapore airlines?

I don't find the aqantas FAs grouchy at all. I do think the service is different just due to the culture of each airline being different. SA has that wonderful feeling thatnyounreally matter whereas I find the Qantas FAs more down to earth and approachable with a bit of a 'matey' manner which, living in Australia I'm used to. Maybe others aren't. I know by brother (from the UK) found it a bit 'in your face' at times. I like both air,ines and wouldn't let the difference in service decide the choice for me if there was such a difference in price involved.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Is Qantas so much worst than Singapore airlines?

"whereas I find the Qantas FAs more down to earth and approachable with a bit of a 'matey' manner which, living in Australia I'm used to"

yes, that's the problem I have with them....and service in australia in general.

the 'she'll be right' attitude might be considered ok at home but it's levels below that accepted as normal in the majority of other countries,