We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to Avoid Losing my United Airlines FF Miles

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
How to Avoid Losing my United Airlines FF Miles

My wife and I I have accumulated enough frequent flyer miles for us to redeem miles for a trip to China or somewhere in that region, assuming that we could snag the seats. The problem is the timing. We can not get away in time to avoid losing our miles due to United's policy of miles expiring after 18 months of no activity. I would like to clarify what that policy means. Do you merely have to book the flights using the miles, or must the travel be completed before 18 months has expired? What constitutes activity. Can we simply make charges to our United/Chase VISA card and that count as activity which would be the easiest? or Could we buy miles or give away miles to qualify or must we travel to constitute activity?

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,686 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: How to Avoid Losing my United Airlines FF Miles

Aloha,

I've read that buying flowers through MP & FTD for your mom or wife works. (Might be best not to tell her the occasion....)

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: How to Avoid Losing my United Airlines FF Miles

am at a loss why people are suggesting buying things.

as long as your chase mileage plus cc remains active so do your miles ie. is renewed when due

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,240 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: How to Avoid Losing my United Airlines FF Miles

lien,

If other people see this thread (or search for a similar subject) the information may well be useful to them if they don't have a United credit card.

And, in that vain, here's how I keep a fairly dormant FF account ticking over. I've registered my ordinary credit cards with Thanks Again, which means if I use them at any participating airport (I registered through PDX) I'll get a few miles added to that account. Includes restaurants, coffee and parking. Now, as I fly United once or twice a month, I'm not worried about that, so my cards are registered with Delta to keep my 150k miles ticking over.

http://thanksagain.com/

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,951 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: How to Avoid Losing my United Airlines FF Miles

Re the suggestion to buy things - isn't the point of having a CC that gives you miles that you buy things (that you need anyway) and get some miles? otherwise why bother?

Santa Rosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Negril
Level Contributor
3,526 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: How to Avoid Losing my United Airlines FF Miles

As a Delta FF I use my Delta CC to stay active plus flights, you can also buy more miles and that will give you activity but the easiest way is use your United credit card, use it as often as possible, gas, groceries, etc and the miles will show up on your united account, easy way to earn miles and stay active.

d p
Jacksonville...
1 post
Save Reply
16. Re: How to Avoid Losing my United Airlines FF Miles

when continental merged with united where did my 100,000 miles go?

never heard anything from anybody....who can get this solved?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,617 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: How to Avoid Losing my United Airlines FF Miles

d p: I'm not sure what's taken you so long to ask for advice or research to topic. I was a member of both CO and UA programs and I received multiple emails about how to merge my accounts through the merger transition, and now both programs are fully merged. Surely at some point you realized that you could no longer log into the CO website or that it forwarded you to UA?? I don't know what to tell you, other than to phone United Mileage Plus and ask them.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,240 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: How to Avoid Losing my United Airlines FF Miles

If you had a Continental OnePass account, that is your MileagePlus number. If you had a pre-merger UA MileagePlus account then you would have been sent a new account number.

All of which is moot as miles expire if your account has been inactive for 18 months. Since the FF program was merged 20 months ago, if you haven't bothered checking since then your 100,000 miles have gone up in smoke.

Ramat Gan, Israel
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: How to Avoid Losing my United Airlines FF Miles

When buying an iTunes song to avoid listing my United miles, does the email address I use in iTunes have to be identical to the email address I use for United?

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: How to Avoid Losing my United Airlines FF Miles

I would very much doubt it surely there is a link somewhere that you put your ff number in? You could ask on the flyertalk forums where the experts live.