We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free tablet for personal entertainment on American?

Château-Guibert...
Level Contributor
11 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Free tablet for personal entertainment on American?

We are thinking of flying American or Iberia between Madrid, Spain and Miami. It's a 10 hour flight and I cannot believe they still have no personal entertainment on these long flights.

However, on the American website I found this:

American Airlines continues to bring you the latest entertainment options by being the first domestic airline to offer complimentary use of a branded tablet for premium class entertainment.

The innovative, Samsung Galaxy Tab™ 10.1 Android platform tablet, featuring a 10.1 inch screen, enables a customized viewing experience.

Europe and South America:

Sit back, relax, and let the new Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 take you to the movies or catch up on your favorite TV shows. You can expect a variety of entertainment options including:

New Movie Releases and top classics

Audio Selections, including CDs and other audio programming

Hit TV Shows, including sports, comedy and drama

Has anyone already been on such a flight where they received use of such a tablet?

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,615 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Free tablet for personal entertainment on American?

You only get them if you are flying in business class.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
206 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Free tablet for personal entertainment on American?

You don't say which cabin you are planning on travelling in but my understanding is that tablet entertainment is only available in first and business class. I've not travelled American myself, but was looking at their business class service for my next flight and this was my reading of the website. I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong though.

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,615 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Free tablet for personal entertainment on American?

Yes I should have said first or business class.

The transatlantic that I take with American only has 2 classes.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Free tablet for personal entertainment on American?

I have flown transatlantic several times with AA and seen the passengers in Business/First provided with those tablets. Those of us in the back had to with those stupid old monitors hung from the ceiling or our own devices.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,537 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Free tablet for personal entertainment on American?

I've had them in the past on business class flights but not a great fan of them although better than nothing but as others have said they are not provided in economy class.

Château-Guibert...
Level Contributor
11 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Free tablet for personal entertainment on American?

We will be flying economy (wish we could fly business for a nice price though.....).

The stupid thing is that it doesn't say anywhere that these tablets are only for first and business class. Bummer.

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
3,378 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Free tablet for personal entertainment on American?

I can remember a flight from Chicago to Glasgow in 2000 when we were provided with a personal DVD player. Had never seen such a thing.

Truly innovative airline ;-)

Regards

Jim

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,342 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Free tablet for personal entertainment on American?

It says so right in that thing you quoted: "premium class entertainment." Premium class means first or business class.

Château-Guibert...
Level Contributor
11 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Free tablet for personal entertainment on American?

I actually read that as they offer "premium class entertainment" as in Great Entertainment.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,212 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Free tablet for personal entertainment on American?

You guys are getting ripped off. ALL international airlines coming into Australia have had PE systems for years ... in all classes. Qantas domestic flights have Ipads for all classes for entertainment, (major cities) although they only have about 6 movies to pick from. You need to get more vocal.