We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free tablet for personal entertainment on American?

Château-Guibert...
Level Contributor
16 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Free tablet for personal entertainment on American?

We are thinking of flying American or Iberia between Madrid, Spain and Miami. It's a 10 hour flight and I cannot believe they still have no personal entertainment on these long flights.

However, on the American website I found this:

American Airlines continues to bring you the latest entertainment options by being the first domestic airline to offer complimentary use of a branded tablet for premium class entertainment.

The innovative, Samsung Galaxy Tab™ 10.1 Android platform tablet, featuring a 10.1 inch screen, enables a customized viewing experience.

Europe and South America:

Sit back, relax, and let the new Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 take you to the movies or catch up on your favorite TV shows. You can expect a variety of entertainment options including:

New Movie Releases and top classics

Audio Selections, including CDs and other audio programming

Hit TV Shows, including sports, comedy and drama

Has anyone already been on such a flight where they received use of such a tablet?

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,984 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Free tablet for personal entertainment on American?

She shouldn't have said ALL flights but it is mostly North American based airlines that don't have seat back entertainment as the Australian, Asian and European airlines flying from Australia all do.

While I wouldn't use the term "ripped off" I too find it hard to understand that there are still airlines that don't offer what has been considered standard in this part of the world for at least 10 years.

The answer is that if seat back entertainment is important you need to realise that some airlines dont offer it and make sure you do book with an airline that does.

uk
Level Contributor
3,844 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Free tablet for personal entertainment on American?

I would argue however that if the airline are still able to fill planes TP, at a sales price they are happy with, despite the lack of seat back TVs, they have little incentive to accelerate upgrades of the AC.

You are quite correct, passengers need to research and understand the services available before booking if these things are important.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,448 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Free tablet for personal entertainment on American?

Sorry, maybe I should have said "all airlines except the backward American ones"

And it is surprising that they still fill flights ... the only reason that could be is that Americans are unaware of the higher standards enjoyed by the rest of the world and book with their national carriers anyway.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
21,387 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Free tablet for personal entertainment on American?

"the only reason that could be is that Americans are unaware of the higher standards enjoyed by the rest of the world and book with their national carriers anyway."

An equally alternative reason could be that Americans are able to entertain themselves without the need for personal seatback tv that must come at a cost that is inevitably reflected in the ticket price.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,448 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Free tablet for personal entertainment on American?

<<<An equally alternative reason could be that Americans are able to entertain themselves without the need for personal seatback tv that must come at a cost that is inevitably reflected in the ticket price.>>>

OR ... I could book a Sydney/LA return in October with Qantas for $39.50 more than on United and travel on a brand new A380 ... with PE system ... walk up free snack bar ... and all the standard stuff. Or Fly United on an old 747 and try to watch whatever they choose to show me. Which would you choose?

Dallas
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Free tablet for personal entertainment on American?

I flew business class DFW to CDG over Christmas on American and used it. I thought the tablet was great.

Edited: 28 March 2013, 23:21
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Free tablet for personal entertainment on American?

I have to be honest,,,,I'm surprised anyone in this day and age does not own their own tablet,

Queue people of a certain age saying they don't? :))

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,856 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Free tablet for personal entertainment on American?

I travel with my I Pad and rarely use it on flights, as in almost never use it. I also don't use the Bose headsets given out free of charge on American Airlines because I don't watch films while traveling. Only Business Class that is worse for amenities offered that I've flown is BA.

Airlines get you from point A to point B, they don't owe a passenger entertainment as well. Try reading a book!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,448 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Free tablet for personal entertainment on American?

<<<Airlines get you from point A to point B, they don't owe a passenger entertainment as well. Try reading a book!>>>

By your reasoning airlines don't have to entertain us ... should they also not feed us? Not give us somewhere to pee?

It's funny... I simply pointed out that US airlines are short changing you all on facilities that the rest of the world gets for free .... and I get attacked about it. Well sit back in your tired old planes with no entertainment for all I care. BUT ... I wonder what would be your reaction if your next flight had PE systems but they didn't work .... "Oh, I'll just read a book, don't worry"

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Free tablet for personal entertainment on American?

"Don't UA fly some Oz routes on AC with only overhead TVs?"

yes they do!

and it's great. one of the reasons i book united across the pacific.

no one bashing the back of your seat, esp kids playing games, with the so called sophisticated touch screen technology.

and i am happy to read a book.....14 hours locked away from the world with little or no disturbances...great!

even the IFE on the SQ a380 doesn't tempt me.

Edited: 29 March 2013, 00:39