We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

layover shortened at LHR

Sacramento
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
layover shortened at LHR

Just got a notice from Virgin Altlantic that the flight times for our flights home in June have changed. Both the flight from EDI to LHR and LHR to San Francisco have changed. We now have 1 hr 40 min to get from LHR terminal 1 to LHR terminal 3. Assuming the flight from EDI isn't late, do we have enough time? Do we need to go through customs at LHR or when we land in SF?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,143 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: layover shortened at LHR

Customs officers will follow up after immigration formalities at SFO. There are no formal exit procedures (either customs or immigration) for pax from UK airports.

T1 and T3 are adjacent at Heathrow; one hour 40 minutes should be sufficient for the connection as long as the flight from EDI arrives on time. Your bags will be checked through as you have booked with VS all the way.

After disembarkation at T1, follow signs for Flight Connections. You'll be treated to a bus journey to T3, go through Security there and then be dispensed into the Departures area.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,462 posts
508 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: layover shortened at LHR

Agree with T+. Details are available on heathrowairport.com/heathrow-airport-guide/f…

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,037 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: layover shortened at LHR

Yes that should be enough time. I assume you don't have to collect, if so just follow the signs for flight connections and take the airside bus from T1 to T3. Beware though you will need to go through security again when you get to T3 so no liquids over 100ml although if you've bought duty free in Edinburgh, that will be fine as its in the secured bags.

Sacramento
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: layover shortened at LHR

Thanks everyone! Clearly, we are newbies at international travel, but you have eased my mind :). I did look at the Heathrow terminal maps, but nothing is better than actual experiences others have had. Of course, air travel being what it is (just had to overnight somewhere unexpected due to mechanical problems on a business trip), I expect the worse hoping to be wrong!

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: layover shortened at LHR

Hi 3rdrs, Just to note that EDI to LHR is a "domestic" flight (so no immigr/customs when you land).

I always have to remind myself that England & Scotland aren't separate countries...not yet, anyway :)

Edited: 30 March 2013, 18:12
6. Re: layover shortened at LHR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2014, 05:15