We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carry on backpack

Shingle Springs...
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Topic
Carry on backpack

We will be going to Africa in May. I have a photo back pack by Manfrotto, Lino Pro V, that measures 16.73 in. tall, 13.39 wide and 10.24 deep. Does any body see a problem with that size as a carry on? Flying United, Lufthansa, Kenya Air and Turkish Air. Will not put $4000 of gear in checked baggage.

Thanks for you time.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carry on backpack

You will need to check the carry on requirements for all four airlines. Look at weight and measurements. Same goes for your tripod question.

Edited: 04 April 2013, 01:35
Shingle Springs...
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Carry on backpack

gracie- boo, thanks for the reply. I have checked out all the airlines but was hoping somebody had exact experience with this product.

Dale

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,867 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carry on backpack

United's carry on size limit (and US carriers are usually the most lax at enforcement) is 114 linear centimeters, or 14" by 9" by 22", plus a personal item. Your bag exceeds that. Now, it's possible you'd get away with it, but if you're carrying camera gear would you want to risk it? If you aren't in the first two boarding groups, if the bins fill up, they may take it off you and check it anyway.

The other issue re carry ons is the weight limit. United allows the carry on to weigh up to 18kg which is fairly generous. But other carriers aren't. Lufthansa's carry on weight limit is only 8kg, and I have had my carry on weighed.

I think you may need to rethink how many lenses you plan to take. :)

I'm an amateur photographer and carry a smaller backpack with my DSLR and two additional lenses and a speedlight (and I fit my laptop in there too). And I fly United because of the generous weight limit. My tripod ($150 value) goes in my checked luggage; it hasn't gone walkies yet and I'd doubt a rogue baggage handler/TSA would be bothered by it.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
92 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carry on backpack

You could always check the bag itself then take a less camera friendly bag, that will fit the equipment, just for the flights.....Wrap the equipment securely, that should work....Just a thought....

5. Re: Carry on backpack

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2014, 06:15