We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Premium Economy UK to NZ - Virgin Atlantic & Air NZ

Kent
Level Contributor
121 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Premium Economy UK to NZ - Virgin Atlantic & Air NZ

We are looking at a flight to New Zealand travelling Premium Economy, one flight we have been offered is flying Virgin Atlantic to LA then on to Auckland with Air New Zealand. We have heard bad reports about transit in LA, has anyone done this flight, if so have you any advice.

Thanks

Leamington Spa...
Level Contributor
30 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Premium Economy UK to NZ - Virgin Atlantic & Air NZ

That is brilliant. I shall stop worrying now and feel much happier.

Thank you!

Shrewsbury UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Premium Economy UK to NZ - Virgin Atlantic & Air NZ

An interesting conversation. My wife and I have flown to NZ several times in the past 10 years and decided to graduate to PE on the last 3 occasions. This year my wife flew 'solo' in June with Air New Zealand and we both made the trip this month with an ANZ/Virgin combination. In our experience the antipodean operators knock spots off UK carriers. My wife was fortunate to fly 100% of the route via LAX in an ANZ space seat and thoroughly enjoyed the experience despite the journey length. On or combined trip the difference between ANZ and Virgin was marked in terms of comfort, service and cuisine. My assessment of Virgin's PE is that it's a good pocket-liner for Richard Branson, and that's about it. Surely you want to come off a long-haul flight, having paid extra for PE, thinking yes, they took the trouble to make me feel good! Both ANZ and Qantas do just that. BA's WTP is not worth mentioning. My advice for those going to NZ is if you can't afford Business Class, go for ANZ PE the WHOLE way: best for everything with minimum time on the ground en route. Hope this helps. Now for our trip down under in 2015 .....

Leamington Spa...
Level Contributor
30 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Premium Economy UK to NZ - Virgin Atlantic & Air NZ

Sounds good. . We have flown Air NZ before and always brilliant. Unfortunately we have not had such good experience with Virgin but it was such a good deal this time. Virgin's new publicity for PE suggests they may have improved? My concern has the changeover in LA-how was it for your flight?

Anyway-off in February so I shall post back when we return in March.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,842 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Premium Economy UK to NZ - Virgin Atlantic & Air NZ

Don't worry too much about being held up. Air NZ always flies two and sometimes three flights a day from LAX to AKL. If you are connecting onto NZ1, there is a later flight as well as if you are through ticketed Air NZ would rebook you onto the later flight.

===============

Actually, they'll book you on the next available flight which isn't necessarily the next one if the next flight is fully booked. That Air NZ route is almost always pretty close to capacity.

Hopefully it won't come to that though.

Shrewsbury UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Premium Economy UK to NZ - Virgin Atlantic & Air NZ

Yes, we realised on our approach to LAX that many of the passengers were continuing with an ANZ connection to LHR after just a couple of hours on the ground whereas we had to wait over twice as long for the Virgin flight out. I suppose the ANZ flight was fully booked when we made our arrangements; must book earlier in future.

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Premium Economy UK to NZ - Virgin Atlantic & Air NZ

HI We have used Air NZ several times but they seem to be going down hill fast, resting on their laurels. I took my golf clubs on our last trip and found that I could not check these in at LAX as they are oversized luggage and I had to wait for the Air NZ desk to open!! So 3 hours cuddled up to y golf clubs in LAX airport. Not very helpful. Also when we arrived at AKL my clubs had been put in the wrong bin and another 30 minute wait after paying for Priority bags in Premium Economy. Air NZ are great at apologising (they must have had loads of practice) trouble is they never do anything about the problem.

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Premium Economy UK to NZ - Virgin Atlantic & Air NZ

HI We have used Air NZ several times but they seem to be going down hill fast, resting on their laurels. I took my golf clubs on our last trip and found that I could not check these in at LAX as they are oversized luggage and I had to wait for the Air NZ desk to open!! So 3 hours cuddled up to y golf clubs in LAX airport. Not very helpful. Also when we arrived at AKL my clubs had been put in the wrong bin and another 30 minute wait after paying for Priority bags in Premium Economy. Air NZ are great at apologising (they must have had loads of practice) trouble is they never do anything about the problem.

18. Re: Premium Economy UK to NZ - Virgin Atlantic & Air NZ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2015, 06:17