We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In transit at Schiphol Airport

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
In transit at Schiphol Airport

Hi there, all,

I'm a British citizen flying from Edinburgh to Amsterdam, with a 5-hour wait before proceeding to Bangkok. My flight to Amsterdam is with KLM, and my flight to Bangkok is with China Airlines. I am flying non-shenghen to non-shengen. My question is, as I am an EU citizen (where no Visa is required for the Amsterdam stay), do I have to remain in the transit area of Schiphol, or am I free to roam around the entire airport? Will this depend on whether my luggage is checked through by the airlines or not?

Or, could I conceivably get my luggage at Amsterdam and then go through the customs procedures again prior to boarding the Bangkok flight?

I just don't want to be in a position of somehow being in flux because I've gone through the wrong process at the airport.

Thanks in advance for any replies you may post, really much appreciated.

Ben.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,310 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In transit at Schiphol Airport

China airlines are a partner to KLM so your luggage will be checked through (I presume you are one one ticket).

You can leave the airport if you want and go into Amsterdam for a few hours. If you want to go to the Schengen part of the airport (why would you it's just more of the same) then you have to go through Immigration and security then immigration to get back again. Fairly pointless that though.

Why are you flying China airlines on a non direct flight to BKK when there's a daily KLM flight direct??

Edited: 06 April 2013, 13:53
Malaysia
Level Contributor
169 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In transit at Schiphol Airport

Luggage being checked through to your final destination on two tickets depends on the agent checking you in. Just came back from Prague via Amsterdam using KLM. The gate agent checked my luggage straight to my final destination, Penang. I flew Czech Airlines from Prague to Amsterdam and from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur by KLM under one ticket and from Kuala Lumpur to Penang by MAS under a separate ticket.

IMO as long as the different airlines have interline agreement and even on separate tickets, luggage can be checked through.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,834 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In transit at Schiphol Airport

Ron ,the China airlines flight CI66 is direct to BKK,it then goes on to Taipei.

You will most likely not be allowed into the Schengen area of the airport as they will want to see your boarding pass.

You can go through passport control and wander around the main part of the airport ot catch a train into Amsterdam. Where you would have about 2 hours, just don't go too far from the station!

4. Re: In transit at Schiphol Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2014, 06:15