We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomas Cook flight changed to SmartLynx

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
904 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Thomas Cook flight changed to SmartLynx

We are due to fly from Newcastle to Kalamaki in June and I've just received notification that our flight will now be with SmartLynx. I am aware that tour operators sometimes use other carriers but until today, I'd never heard of SmartLynx. Has anyone experienced this carrier? I did a quick google and found the company is Latvian. Seems odd having a latvian airline operating a Newcastle - Greece flight.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
36,308 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Thomas Cook flight changed to SmartLynx

Lol @ lien!

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,937 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Thomas Cook flight changed to SmartLynx

There aslo using easyjet

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
904 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Thomas Cook flight changed to SmartLynx

Thanks for all the replies everyone and sorry it took so long for me to respond, was out on the pop last night and just checked my Tripadvisor acccount :-) In response to Stan S (post 2) I am flying out on the Monday morning flight 24th June and back on the Thursday flight 4th July. UlsterBrummie, yes you are right about using EasyJet. I flew to Algarve 2009 and10 with TC but when I enquired about flying there last summer, I was told they were no longer offering that destination from Newcastle. I could still book a package but it would be an EJ flight. Thanks again everyone for your informative replies. Nicky :-)

London, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Thomas Cook flight changed to SmartLynx

i seem to have been changed from tc to smartlynx for the ibiza to gatwick in july!

King's Lynn, null...
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Thomas Cook flight changed to SmartLynx

Hi mine has changed to. Will case weights all be the same ? I know the allowance will be,I have an allowance of 60kg which Thomas cook allow between 2 cases, so will stay the same ? I hope so as I'm going Monday and that's how I've packed Eeek excited :-)

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
36,308 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Thomas Cook flight changed to SmartLynx

Thomas Cooks have leased the aircraft, as I said in # 1so everything should be as Thomas Cook, but if you're unsure you're best asking them.

Essex
Level Contributor
1 post
37 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Thomas Cook flight changed to SmartLynx

Re Thomas Cook using Smartlynx - We flew to Kos and returned a few days ago on Smartlynx plane. The aircraft had both Thomas Cook and Smartlynx cabin crew outbound Thomas Cook pilot who was very informative advising us of lots of info en route, coming home after a 6 hour delay due to Athens Air Traffic Control strike, pilot was Latvian, hardly said a word and very poor English, cabin crew were again mixed. Plane was very old, noisy and well worn, air condition panel in row 9 fell down from its casing exposing all the electrical wiring, cabin crew said it often happens during turbulence!! Think went you pay Thomas Cook prices you should not have to fly in a tatty old Latvian aircraft.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Thomas Cook flight changed to SmartLynx

Delayed flights will be your biggest worry judging by the experience of charters with Small Planet and Strategic Airlines last year.Thomas Cook should be ashamed putting their customers on Biggles flights.I thought it was only Olympic Holidays who did this last year.Thos Cook have sold some of their aircraft (part of their financial makeover) and imo putting their customers with hick airlines is not going to generate future goodwill.

Essex
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Thomas Cook flight changed to SmartLynx

I've just picked up on this message thread as I am due to be travelling with TC this weekend from Gatwick and my documentation say the airline may be operated by TC or Smartlynx. I contacted TC and was advised that no one will know which airline until the actual departure.

Has anyone had this experience before from Gatwick?

1 post
Save Reply
20. Re: Thomas Cook flight changed to SmartLynx

I'm crew for TC and I operate the Smartlynx aircraft from Garwick. The pilots are Smartlynx but everything else is Thomas Cook. It's just a leased aircraft for the summer but you have nothing to worry about in terms of Danger. It's newer that the Thomas Cook Fleet and in good condition. The leg room also seems slightly better.