We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Global Entry

seattle
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
Save Topic
Global Entry

Has anyone else had problems with their fingerprints not being authorised/recognised? Yesterday at Seatac for the 4th time out of 6 entries I had to get a CBP agent to authorise my entry. He was very helpful and showed me what he said was the best way to get fingerprint recognition but it still didn't work. It is quite irritating. At least I wasn't shunted into an immigration room as happened to me in Miami. Wondering if I should go and get re-fingerprinted.

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
713 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Global Entry

Apparently if your hands dry out they don't show up properly so you should moisturise your hands a little while before getting your prints taken.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,390 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Global Entry

I would consider getting re-fingerprinted. It is not such a big deal. I just signed up yesterday. One of the comments the agent made after he took my fingerprints was, "you should have no problems, you have a good set of fingerprints" Now, I did not ask what that means, but I would imagine that certain people have clearer prints than others. If you are constantly having difficulties, maybe your set wasn't so clear!

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,653 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Global Entry

also - drink plenty of water on board. de-hydration affects your fingerprints too.

pam

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,227 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Global Entry

Have not had an issue, great service. Sounds like you need to get a new set of fingerprints in the system.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2,412 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Global Entry

From my iPad I can't see how to post a question. This is the most closely related question, so I will piggyback. I have had Global Entry for years and love skipping the passport line. But I have never gone to the head of the Customs line. My wife recently got her own GOES pass and was told to go to the head of the Customs line. Indeed (she was told that) some airports have a separate line for Global Entry pass holders. I presume GOES does not help going through airport security. I have never tried to use the GOES pass there, either. Thanks. Rob

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,390 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Global Entry

I was also just told I could go to the front of the IMMIGRATION line if the Global entry kiosk is not functioning.(it says that in the little instruction booklet too) I was not told to go to the front of the customs line. Bottom line, the customs line moves so fast--it wouldn't be worth even trying.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2,412 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Global Entry

True, getting through customs is generally not a problem. But it HAS been a bottleneck at JFK. I'm willing to wait, but don't want to do so unnecessarily. I'm assuming the security line is still required.

Edited: 14 April 2013, 02:25
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,244 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Global Entry

Quite a few of the airports I've used Global Entry at have different signage at customs for GE. I've skipped the customs line at quite a few airports, admittedly the time savings aren't huge but I'm not going to complain.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
482 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Global Entry

I have the same problem with fingerprints. Mine have never worked. It's frustrating. I keep thinking I paid $100 for this? We always have tight connections, so this is a major problem. Any suggestions are very welcome.

seattle
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Global Entry

I contacted CBP since I first posted and got a return call from an agent who said I should have been told that my fingerprints were substandard. He said that my fingerprints were worn (he was polite about the possible age-related cause) and said that I still was able to get ahead of the usual queues. He implied that there was no point in getting re-fingerprinted. So I guess I would have no problems of detection if I began a new career in my 7th decade

Appologoes for any typos this being sent from Istanbul on an I-Touch on which my thick fingers sans prints are not too good. I shall still however go to the GE kiosk at SEA Friday

Edited: 04 May 2013, 20:36