We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancelled Air New Zealand Flight, No Refund 4 Months Later

Tokyo, Japan
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cancelled Air New Zealand Flight, No Refund 4 Months Later

Hi,

My family booked a 3 week trip to New Zealand from Japan in December 2012, due to unforeseen circumstances we had to cancel the holiday and cancelled on January the 18th incurring a 10% loss. We were told the money would be creditted to the same credit card we used for the original payment in 4-6 weeks. It is now mid-April and we have still not received the refund.

I have called Air New Zealand and confirmed the tickets are definitely cancelled over the phone twice. They also told me it takes time for the money to appear back on the credit card due to credit card companies only crediting on one date of the month.

So I called the credit card company and they have no pending incoming credit from Air New Zealand.

This is worrying because the flights we cancelled were for next week.

We have also emailed, but with no reply apart from the auto-response that we are in a queue and our query is important etc.

Has anyone been in the same situation? Any advice on what to do?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,760 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancelled Air New Zealand Flight, No Refund 4 Months Later

Hi,

A few ideas off the top of my head...

Can you go to an NZ office? If so, you should be able to get a hard copy print out from NZ showing that you've formally cancelled your tickets and what is the refund you're entitled to nett.

Or can you view the reservation online? If so, like the above, is it possible to document your cancellation status?

These ideas are just to protect you from a possible claim of being a "no show" which might then change your tickets refund eligibility.

As far as the actual refund, can you reach someone in revenue accounting? That's the commonly used name of the department that deals with both incoming payments for new tickets issued as well as fee payments, but also deals with and usually approves refunds as well..

They might have a sub-department within RA,like refunds or something, but the main department is usually called Revenue Accounting or similar.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 11 April 2013, 02:09
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancelled Air New Zealand Flight, No Refund 4 Months Later

My first thought was the same as GOBPI's first response - go into the ANZ office in Tokyo (if that's where you are) and speak to someone directly.

While email, telephones and other technology may be convenient, sometimes it's more effective if you have a face to face dialogue with a real person. Make sure you have printouts of all you documentation with you, showing your bookings and subsequent cancellation of our flights.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,330 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancelled Air New Zealand Flight, No Refund 4 Months Later

The Air NZ Japan website has the following details;

Travel Agent Passenger Sales

Tokyo

16F, The Imperial Hotel Tower

1-1-1 Uchisaiwaicho, Chiyoda-ku,

Tokyo 100-0011

Public Relations

16F, The Imperial Hotel Tower

1-1-1 Uchisaiwaicho, Chiyoda-ku,

Tokyo 100-0011

Fax: 03 5521 2740 (Public Relations)

Email: japan.marketing@airnz.co.jp (Public Relations)

Travel Agent Passenger Sales Osaka

12F HULIC Namba Building

4-4-1 Namba, Chuo-ku, Osaka 542-0076

Hope this helps,

Cheers.

Edited: 11 April 2013, 03:58
Canada
Level Contributor
9,455 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancelled Air New Zealand Flight, No Refund 4 Months Later

Every time, I have cancelled a flight, my refund credit $$$$ was put through within about 48 hrs on the credit card.The email cancellation notice would come through while I was still on the phone with the agent....instantly.

Something is up with your transaction.Call back, speak with a Supervisor.

I, too would check the Booking File # on-line to see the status.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
15,539 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancelled Air New Zealand Flight, No Refund 4 Months Later

Not quite the same situation, but years ago Air NZ cancelled a Auckland-LA flight for technical issues. We were given details about how to apply for goodwill compensation. I gave my bank details at the time but nothing came through. Finally, about two months later and at least three faxes of resubmitting all the particulars, it arrived. But it certainly took repeated reminders on my part for it to do so.

If you're not able to get to the Air NZ office, then can you fax the details to them. Sometimes its all too easy for a "yes" on the phone to become a "I forgot" when the customer has hung up.

Good luck.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancelled Air New Zealand Flight, No Refund 4 Months Later

"I have called Air New Zealand and confirmed the tickets are definitely cancelled over the phone twice. They also told me it takes time for the money to appear back on the credit card due to credit card companies only crediting on one date of the month."

-------------

I find this a little hard to believe. ANZ is blaming the credit card company, but more likely the blame is with ANZ and their IT/processing deparment doing some sort of batch file to all the credit card companies and only doing it once per month. Frankly, a lax business practice and a poor excuse.

Many times I have cancelled a flight (not with ANZ) and the credit to my credit card company was processed within 24-48 hours, not "months later". Last one I cancelled I cancelled 11am on a Saturday. The money was refunded to my credit card by Monday.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cancelled Air New Zealand Flight, No Refund 4 Months Later

Keep on at them, we had to wait a year for a refund on a Lufthansa flight and it was them that cancelled the flight.

Auckland Central...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Cancelled Air New Zealand Flight, No Refund 4 Months Later

Hi, AirNZ employee here I saw your post and have gone and checked with the refunds team to see what you should do. If the ticket is issued by the Japan office it will get processed by them but in the mean time please email:

refunds@airnz.co.nz

Make sure to include your Booking reference number and/or ticket number. They will check the status and contact the Japan office on your behalf if required.

Hope this helps

Ryan

Tokyo, Japan
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Cancelled Air New Zealand Flight, No Refund 4 Months Later

Hi again,

Thank you for all your help with experiences and chase-up numbers to call. It turned out that Air New Zealand sent the 90% refund on the same day I canceled the tickets. The Japanese credit card company was at fault. Air New Zealand was prompt in their refunding and their level of service in this case was excellent explaining in detail over the phone about all transactions that had taken place and where they had gone.

The Japanese credit card company is unable to show the refund on my statement, but it will be deducted from by month's total payment.

So glad that's sorted out!

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cancelled Air New Zealand Flight, No Refund 4 Months Later

Nice to hear a story with a happy ending.