We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights from MAN to the USA Sept/Oct 2013

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
815 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Flights from MAN to the USA Sept/Oct 2013

Hi there - we are struggling to find flights to SFO or SEA which are reasonably priced for our planned trip to the US departing around 21 September (well after Labor Day), returning around 9 October. We last travelled to the US around the same time in 2011, albeit to Boston, when our flights were £470 per person return. I did find flights for £550 about 3-4 weeks ago for our dates which seemed reasonably priced given the extra 2000 or miles or so, but by the time we had checked we could have time off with our respective employers, the cost had shot up to over £630 for the route we are looking to book now. Does anyone know why the costs may be so greatly increased? Is it down to fuel/taxes/new financial year? If anyone has any insight, I'd be very grateful to know.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,161 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights from MAN to the USA Sept/Oct 2013

supply and demand.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,654 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights from MAN to the USA Sept/Oct 2013

Fuel costs have risen significantly since 2011 leading to increased prices - in addition airlines have in some cases cut capacity reducing supply which leads to higher prices. September can still be a peak travel period in the UK and prices might be lower in October and weekend flights can be more expensive than midweek flights.

If cost is a major issue you should pay less for indirect flights compared to non stop options.

EDW
Warrington, England
Level Contributor
246 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights from MAN to the USA Sept/Oct 2013

We found the same for flights from MAN to SEA in late August when we looked at the beginning of this year and so we started considering Portland flights, which ended up being much cheaper. Bearing in mind that you cannot fly direct to SFO or SEA from MAN, it might be worth looking at PDX (Portland).

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
815 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights from MAN to the USA Sept/Oct 2013

Thanks guys. PDX is more expensive than SFO at the moment. All the flight options I've seen are indirect.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,338 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights from MAN to the USA Sept/Oct 2013

" Bide your time" late Sept through Oct

is not peak travel time so there's bound to be

airlines discounting fares from mid-may onwards.

I would call into " Trailfinders " in Deansgate,

Manchester city centre, and ask their advice.

good luck.

P.S. When you're online looking for quotes

make sure you delete cookies for the site

after you've used it

it stops the site in question hiking the price.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights from MAN to the USA Sept/Oct 2013

Keep checking the skyscanner or Matrix websites daily until the price comes down which it should do as you're not travelling for a few months yet, although I have to say that flights have gone up this year.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com

Manchester, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights from MAN to the USA Sept/Oct 2013

How flexible are you?

I've recently found that flying out of Dublin can reduce the price significantly (Shhh! don't tell anyone). Living near Manchester we have the benefit of cheap flights across the Irish Sea. I've just booked myself a trip to New York saving £150 on an economy ticket. With a fare of £19 on Ryanair to Dublin it was a no brainer and it's easier than getting to London.

I've had a quick look at fares out of Dublin showing DUB-SFO-MAN for £525 on American Airlines via JFK (AA.com). The timings aren't perfect as you would need an overnight in DUB (8:55am dep DUB) but it gives you some idea. (Note: the fare is returning to Manchester - not Dublin)

Don't forget you need to add a flight from MAN-DUB and maybe an overnight in Dublin (Premier Inn £35) but if there's a number of you travelling the savings can soon mount.

I know multi-stop flying isn't for everyone but you could try DUB-JFK-MAN on Virgin Atlantic (ebookers.com) for £315 on the same dates as you suggested. Then just add internal flights over to SEA or SFO for about £100 each way (both about the same fare for either). It gets a little more complicated but it's also more flexible if you wanted to fly into SFO and back from SEA or vice versa. You could even have a couple of nights in New York (Can you tell I used to be a travel agent?)

Good Luck. If you need any more ideas I'd be pleased to help.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
815 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flights from MAN to the USA Sept/Oct 2013

Thanks for this - interesting. We'd be paying for checked bags with a carrier like Ryanair, which would instantly put our costs up. I did look at flying Manchester to a New York airport or Chicago but the cost of internal US flights made the trip as expensive as flying MAN - SFO or SEA on one ticket. Things do change though - I'll have another look.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
815 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flights from MAN to the USA Sept/Oct 2013

Okay - time for an update. Following on from Abacus' suggestions for flights from DUB, I tried DUB-YVR-MAN and bingo! The cheapest flights we'd found since we started looking, flying with Aer Lingus/Virgin. We added DUB-MAN with Aer Lingus - actually slightly cheaper than Ryanair given that we need to check bags - and the grand total came to less than the previous best price I had found, which had long since disappeared. I had discounted YVR although it was on our planned itinerary as it was by far the most expensive destination when I was searching for flights from MAN.

Both ebookers and Expedia had these flights. Thanks for the info Abacus.

10. Re: Flights from MAN to the USA Sept/Oct 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2014, 07:16