We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expedia UK - bad flight connection experience?

Scotland
Level Contributor
11 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Expedia UK - bad flight connection experience?

I wondered whether anyone else has had a bad experience after booking their flight itinerary through Expedia? Can Expedia set minimum transfer times between airports and refuse to accept responsibility if the transfer time proves to be too short?

Our itinerary from Aberdeen to Chiang Mai allowed 3 hours 5 minutes between London City airport and Heathrow. Cathay Pacific recommended we arrive at Heathrow at least 2 hours before departure. As we were travelling across London in the morning at peak time, the itinerary proved unworkable despite our very best efforts. Thankfully we got booked on a flight 7 hours later (at a cost of £200). We did tried to avert the problem by offering to make our own way to Heathrow or by asking Expedia if they could change the second flight but were told that having made the booking we had to follow it though. Customer service has been shocking from start to finish and we won't be using Expedia again in the future.

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,246 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Expedia UK - bad flight connection experience?

This really does go to prove that booking directly with the airline and having control over which flights you take is the sensible way to go.

Surely though you must have seen the flight times before you pressed the purchase button. Don't always assume agents know every transfer time in every city of the world. I would not have accepted these flight times. What if your incoming flight was delayed by an hour, something pretty common in the mornings around London.

You have confirmed what most people already know. Customer service from 3rd party agents can be very hit and miss.

I can only assume that you choose Expedia rather than Cathay direct to save a few pounds. If you were on a through ticket with Cathay, then you wouldn't of had to paid the extra £200.

TAKE CONTROL - BOOK DIRECT WITH THE AIRLINES

Edited: 13 April 2013, 09:05
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,316 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Expedia UK - bad flight connection experience?

With BA at least I believe the minimum allowed connection time between LHR and LCY is 3h30m. Can you book your itinerary on the airline website? If so, it should be a legal connection and Cathay should have put you on the next available flight free-of-charge.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,316 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Expedia UK - bad flight connection experience?

Sorry, just checked and BA's MCT btw. LHR and LCY is 3 hours so looks like the connection was legal. Cathay shouldn't have charged you. It has nothing to do with Expedia as far as I can tell.

Edited: 13 April 2013, 09:20
Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Expedia UK - bad flight connection experience?

The CX website offers flights from ABZ to CNX, but the shortest duration is 38.50 hrs - crazy! Personally, I would have booked a Thai flight from LHR and whatever connection from ABZ best fitted. Too late for OP now though.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,316 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Expedia UK - bad flight connection experience?

"If you were on a through ticket with Cathay, then you wouldn't of had to paid the extra £200."

Almost certainly the OP *did* have a through ticket with Cathay (though the UK domestic flight would have been BA-operated).

Scotland
Level Contributor
11 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Expedia UK - bad flight connection experience?

Thank you for your replies. I do accept full responsibility for accepting the itinerary and have learned a few lessons here. We used Expedia not to save money but to have our flights arranged by professionals. We also don't know connecting times for various airports and although we live in the UK we are strangers to London. Next time we'll definitely do more homework and maybe pay a firm such as Trailfinders. Cathay Pacific gave us a receipt for the £200 and said it was Expedia's responsibility to refund it. This isn't about the £200 though it is more a warning to others who are rookies like us at self booking!

Thanks again for your input - much appreciated!

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,246 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Expedia UK - bad flight connection experience?

I think if you are going to use an agent, then Trailfinders are one of the best. Good advice and a genuine 24 hour help line.

Just steer clear of the 3rd party on line agents or other places of dubious origin.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Expedia UK - bad flight connection experience?

Expedia is not of dubious origin.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,351 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Expedia UK - bad flight connection experience?

>>We used Expedia not to save money but to have our flights arranged by professionals<<

I think it is important to say here that your flight was arranged by a computer program not a professional person. Unless you are actually speaking to a travel agent with a vast wealth of experience and a hint of common sense then booking online means that you have to think. I would always avoid transferring airports in any city especially one that are on the other side of a large city in rush hour.

At any point in this process did you not stop and think to yourself, hmm an hour to cross London, is that right?

I bet you won't do that again. Could you not get a connection through say Amsterdam or Frankfurt?

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,246 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Expedia UK - bad flight connection experience?

#8 I did not say Expedia is of dubious origin, to the contrary, I use them all the time for hotel reservations.