We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the Delta website secure

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
8,070 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Is the Delta website secure

I upgraded a Delta booking last night, obviously gave my email and credit card details and since then my inbox has been bombarded by scams. Poor sick Mona who wants to give me her inheritance and others who can double my money. I have never had emails of this kind before. The original booking was through KLM so this is the first time Delta has been given my details. I think caution is needed when using Delta's website.

Jackie

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the Delta website secure

I doubt the spam has any connection to Delta.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
8,070 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the Delta website secure

Hi Hans

I would ordinarily have agreed with you, but that is the only new website where I have given my details in weeks if not months.

Jackie

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the Delta website secure

Spam can appear with several years delay.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,832 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the Delta website secure

Although no one can be certain I think the spam/Delta issue is a coincidence as I'm sure it would have been reported on TA or Flyertalk if there was a problem with Delta security.

It could be that any site where you have previously handed over your email details at any point in the past has been compromised.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,124 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the Delta website secure

Have you posted your email address on any forum web site (such as TA)? If people can see your email address on screen, it can be picked up by the spybots that trawl the web looking for @ symbols.

[Tech note: There are ways by which a web site designer can display an email address without it being available to spammers, but that's not relevant to posts on forums.]

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
8,070 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the Delta website secure

Hi

I have had the same email address since we bought our first computer about fourteen or so years ago. I have never published it anywhere. But maybe a website I registered with in the past has been compromised, it was just the handing it over to Delta and suddenly spam appears.

Jackie

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the Delta website secure

I also doubt it's got anything to do with Delta as I have booked flights when them before and never had any spam and people would have posted about this here or on other forums but if the same thing happened to me I would also have doubts about the website that I had just given my details to.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,209 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the Delta website secure

I would very much doubt it Jackie, but you can always contact Delta and indicate your concern, in case their website has somehow been compromised. It's a bit like getting food poisoning on return from Asia and thinking it's the airline. No harm (in fact even a duty) in reporting it, as if there are multiple reports that form a pattern they can and should take action.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is the Delta website secure

You verified that the URL was https when you booked, right? I've used Delta's site without problems, but not that often. I agree, go ahead and contact them. You said you booked through KLM's site? Contact them, too. If you really think your credit card data was leaked or hacked, you could contact your credit card company, or at least keep a close look on any expenditures appearing.

Why the link to Delta? Did the spam refer to the data you sent online? I assume you don't assume Delta's (or KLM's) site is insecure just because you got spam. Everyone gets it. I've gotten fake messages from the in-boxes of people I know (they didn't send the message). I think you need more evidence before telling people to exercise caution when using Delta's site (what kind of caution could they exercise besides not using it?). By the way, if you DO get the money from Mona, let me know. I'm still waiting for mine.

Edited: 13 April 2013, 17:52
Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
8,070 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is the Delta website secure

Hi

I have contacted my credit cards, but sadly due to my own ineptitude I answered the security questions wrongly, and the card is blocked for the moment although the Delta payment has gone through.

The ticket was originally booked through KLM for Delta flights from Heathrow to Atlanta because the price on KLM was about £100 less. Then when I checked the flights last night all the best seats were gone so I decided to treat my son, the passenger, to an upgrade to Economy plus for only $49. Which is why I was only giving my details to Delta for the first time.

It was most likely another website who 'leaked' my details. But as my email address is not a name but an almost random group of letters and numbers I have never had this kind of stuff through before.

Jackie