We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston Airport - transferring to/from PenAir - TSA twice?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Boston Airport - transferring to/from PenAir - TSA twice?

I think PenAir is in Terminal B and Delta is in Terminal A. I looked on the map and it looks as if I'll have to exit the airport and take the shuttle and then go through TSA again. (How antiquated!) Are my estimates accurate?

Thanks!

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,053 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston Airport - transferring to/from PenAir - TSA twice?

You'll have to go through security again in Boston because you're changing terminals. You can walk from Terminal A to Terminal B or take shuttle bus 11 or 22. B will be the next stop after A (I know that sounds obvious but you never know!).

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston Airport - transferring to/from PenAir - TSA twice?

You don't have to take the shuttle unless you have a lot of luggage.

Exit terminal b from the upper/departure level. Turn left when you hit the sidewalk and you can walk to delta in five minutes.

You can run this by the massport info desk near baggage claim.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston Airport - transferring to/from PenAir - TSA twice?

Hmm, there is hope here! I won't have more than a backpack and a sachel/purse/bag. Thanks for the replies!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,332 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston Airport - transferring to/from PenAir - TSA twice?

What do you mean about there "being hope"?

Edited: 13 April 2013, 21:52
Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,292 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston Airport - transferring to/from PenAir - TSA twice?

I agree with Cross its quicker to walk than wait for the shuttle bus.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,666 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston Airport - transferring to/from PenAir - TSA twice?

What's antiquated about going through TSA if you go from one terminal to another ?

Is it more modern to have one big TSA gateway?

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,667 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston Airport - transferring to/from PenAir - TSA twice?

Lasfloras -- Hate to dash your hopes ... but whether you walk between terminals or take the shuttle, you'll still need to go through security again when you reach the second terminal... The issue is that as you leave the terminal where you'll arrive with PenAir, you'll go outside the security area of that terminal into areas accessible to the general public, who have not gone through any security screening. When you arrive at your Delta terminal, you'll still be outside the security area for that terminal and will need to go through TSA screening again to get to your Delta gate. The bottom line is, as your original question suggests, that there is no "inside security" connections between the various terminals at Logan. "Antiquated"? or just too expensive for multiple terminals as far apart as the ones at Logan are?,,,,, guess it depends on who's paying the bills.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,666 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston Airport - transferring to/from PenAir - TSA twice?

I've been to airports that have one ginormous line for security and then a train that takes you to the terminals. The OP has me wondering if this is a newer design. N

I have to say I like he way BOS does it because if I'm flying Southwest, I know what the lines are generally like in that part of Terminal E. it is a pain if they change your gate and you have to go from one end of a terminal to another (Jet Blue), but all in all. I had not thought of it as an old-fashioned setup. I think in places with more space and lower Real estate costs, the main security area at a single point might work. If we had that in Boston, I'm not sure where it could go.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston Airport - transferring to/from PenAir - TSA twice?

Well, I am a frequent flier through Atlanta, the busiest airport in the world, and once you have gone through TSA at your originating flight, you do not need to do all that again after you arrive in Atlanta. Atlanta's Hartsfield airport allows you to change planes, airlines, whatever, all within the confines of being inside the TSA screening. You do not have to exit the building and bundle a jacket back on and back on, take your shoes on and off and all that silly stuff that makes flying cumbersome.

So, yes, I went outside and then back inside, walked and then went through TSA again. It's just dumb. I chugged my free water bottles from my first class flight so that I could go back through TSA. Yes, I think Boston's airport is antiquated. The other airports I fly through frequently also have underground shuttles and enclosed interterminal shuttles that allow you to change flights and not have to go through TSA again. These airports include Detroit, Houston, LAX (Los Angeles), and Charlotte, just from the top of my head.

And, last but not least, the parking bridges that are meant for walking between terminals, while they are marked on the map, they are not noted as to which level they are on. Oh, well, I made sure I had at least a 2 hour connection between my flights in Boston because I remembered the hassle from years past. Now, I just have to go home next week, via the same route!

Thanks for the feedback!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boston Airport - transferring to/from PenAir - TSA twice?

I don't fly much but I think getting thru Logan is easier then some others. I do not have an issue with a lot of layers of security. I wish there a little more this past Monday. I know there'll be more next year.