We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food on a Thomson flight Newcastle to Mexico

Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Food on a Thomson flight Newcastle to Mexico

Hi, I'm flying with Thomson in just over 3 weeks and am wondering what kind of food & drinks we get as part of the flight?

Has anybody got any ideas, as don't want to end up hungry on board and be stuck buying the expensive on flight stuff if i can stock up before!

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
33,558 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food on a Thomson flight Newcastle to Mexico

Usually a 3 course hot meal with tea or coffee, and a snack before landing. Coming back a meal and breakfast. If you're flying economy all drinks, apart from with meals, have to be paid for.

Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food on a Thomson flight Newcastle to Mexico

Thanks i'm thinking as it's a 12hr flight we'll stock up before we leave! - am not sure one meal & a snack will do us!

Do you know roughly what time they serve the food, we fly out at 8am?

Llandudno North...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food on a Thomson flight Newcastle to Mexico

Just to clarify although Leyland is correct in saying you get a 3 course hot meal I don't want you to expect too much!

Starter normally a small pot of Salad or pasta or such like.

Main course can be anything from curry, to chicken and vegetables or bangers and mash always with a bread roll.

Desert is normally cheesecake or chocolate torte or the like and a tiny little piece at that.

There is normally a cheese and cracker portion too and tea or coffee.

It s not normally a big portion if you like a good size meal, I'm lucky as the wife never eats airline food (she s so fussy, the bread roll is far as she goes) so I get two portions which does fill me!

On the way home it's normally a snack and breakfast of sorts, which I don't think much of. I normally sleep on the way home though, kids permitting!

:-)

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food on a Thomson flight Newcastle to Mexico

I posted this elsewhere on the forum, but I think the same comments apply here, Kazza.

Best advice for anyone flying any airline, any destination, in economy or premium econ is to stock up before you board. A nice hot meal is welcome, and yes there's the "I paid for it" argument, but just in case ... pick up some sandwiches and snacks in Departures, or bring some from home, and if the onboard food is not to your taste just tuck into your own supply and drink their coffee! Remember that you may have to leave your leftovers on the plane or in a rubbish bin before you clear, as there are often restrictions on carrying food into foreign counrtries.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
33,558 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food on a Thomson flight Newcastle to Mexico

I've not flown that early on longhaul so not sure about meal times. On our 9.30 flight we had a meal around 12 ish. I've only flown premium and you get a 4 course meal, which we've always found enough, but if in doubt buy some nibbles before boarding.

Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food on a Thomson flight Newcastle to Mexico

I reckon it'll probably be lunch time too then as we have to touch down in Manchester for a re-fuel (the runway at Newcastle isn't long enough to carry the fuel needed!) we'll have breakfast before we board then & i'll stock up before we board too - thank god for Greggs being in the airport!

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food on a Thomson flight Newcastle to Mexico

That is a real drag having a re-fuelling stop so soon after departure.Adds so much time to the journey.Not so sure about Greggs but airside Boots do some lovely sandwiches to carry on.

On the return you are usually so knackered by the time breakfast comes around just as you re-enter UK airspace NW of Scotland,food is the last thing on your mind. All you want is a fresh mouth and the 3 SSSs.

Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food on a Thomson flight Newcastle to Mexico

I work for Greggs so get everything half price, it's pretty handy - cheap sandwiches, cakes etc!

Yeah the touchdown is pretty annoying but I'd prefer that than having to drive the 3 & half hours to Manchester to fly!

Yeah am not to worried about food on the way back as I guess we'll get tea as we leave cancun at 4pm, then I'm just going to chill & try get some sleep as can eat after we land at 8am.

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
3,014 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food on a Thomson flight Newcastle to Mexico

Hi Kazza

Don't be surprised at the food on your flight.

Starters are Nacho's with grated cheese

Main Course is a choice of Chimichangas, Chicken Fajitas or Tacos

Dessert is a frozen Mango Margarita

All washed down by Sol Beers and Tequila Slammers.

Should hopefully be a party flight to get everyone in the mood :-)))

Kind regards

Jim

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,468 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food on a Thomson flight Newcastle to Mexico

Best advice for anyone flying any airline, any destination, in economy or premium econ is to stock up before you board. A nice hot meal is welcome, and yes there's the "I paid for it" argument, but just in cas

------

I guess I must have a cast iron stomach, because I eat whatever is served. Other than a few hard candies, I never bring any food on board.