We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DC to CDG - Air France vs. United/Lufthansa

wash., dc
Level Contributor
208 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
DC to CDG - Air France vs. United/Lufthansa

Traveling in August and fares from DC to CDG are about the same. Any opinions on which to use from those that have recently flown this route. I've heard of a few disruptions due to Lufthansa strikes. I am a United Mileage Plus basic member but that doesn't give me much in the way of advantages. Any advice would be appreciated before I purchase.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DC to CDG - Air France vs. United/Lufthansa

Air France v Lufthansa - I would usually recommend Lufthansa every time

BUT...

Air France to CDG will be a direct flight. Lufthansa will mean an indirect route via Germany.

wash., dc
Level Contributor
208 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DC to CDG - Air France vs. United/Lufthansa

Correction. The flight is non-stop on United from IAD to CDG as is the Air France flight.

Thanks

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DC to CDG - Air France vs. United/Lufthansa

What kind of aircraft on each airline? Economy or business class? Is the Lufthansa option, as I gather, a Lufthansa flight, with a change of planes in Frankfurt, or perhaps a United flight booked through Lufthansa? Being a Mileage Plus may not help you get a better seat, but on United and Lufthansa, both in the Star Alliance, you'd gain miles you could perhaps use, and between those, UA would be non-stop. Air France is in the Skyteam Alliance (with Delta). If the miles are a factor, I'd probably go with United, otherwise Air France. Especially if I were with my wife, who doesn't like to fly and to whom minimizing the number of takeoffs and landings would be a factor.

Edited: 14 April 2013, 21:11
DC
Level Contributor
2,045 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: DC to CDG - Air France vs. United/Lufthansa

With United, you fly from the awful IAD Terminal C/D to the even awfuller CDG Terminal 1, which will someday be blown up in the final scene of an action movie to the cheers of audiences everywhere. A plus is that you can buy up to E+ for extra legroom, which is nice to have. Is the Air France flight on the A380 I've seen at IAD (I suppose it is)? That might be cool and they also have a premium economy product and they arrive at CDG Terminal 2, which looks like an airport.

wash., dc
Level Contributor
208 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DC to CDG - Air France vs. United/Lufthansa

Yes, it's the UA nonstop. We would be flying economy since the fare is so high. Thanks for the advice. Might just have to face Terminal 1. Any tips to survive the arrival and departures to/from cdg from that terminal. We will most likely take the Roissy bus to our hotel since it's close to the Opera. Thanks!

6. Re: DC to CDG - Air France vs. United/Lufthansa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2014, 06:18