We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Domestic check in Brisbane to Paris via Sydney question

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Domestic check in Brisbane to Paris via Sydney question

Hello All

I am flying on Saturday with Virgin from Brisbane domestic terminal to Paris via Sydney (& AUH).

My questions are:

Do I need to check in 3 hours prior in Brisbane for domestic flight to Sydney?

I spoke with Virgin who said yes & that I will go through customers in Brisbane Domestic Terminal. I am unaware of Customs being in the Domestic terminal, is it?

Virgin also said my bags will be checked through in Brisbane, all the way to Paris. Does anyone know if this is what happens?

I have approximately an hour between arriving in Sydney at Terminal 2 Domestic to get tonTerminal 1Int'l. I am guessing there is a shuttle that transfers you between there flights. Is there?

As this first leg is a domestic one do I only need to check in at the domestic terminal 30 minutes prior or the 3 hours the Airline has said as I will need to go through customs in the domestic terminal? If customs is there, can someone tell me where it is?

Thanks in advance for your replies

Victoria

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
403 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Domestic check in Brisbane to Paris via Sydney question

Are you certain you'll depart Brisbane from domestic?? Usually these flights depart via international.....

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Domestic check in Brisbane to Paris via Sydney question

give us your flight numbers.

something strange here,

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,547 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Domestic check in Brisbane to Paris via Sydney question

The first leg of Virgin's flights to Paris via SYD and AUH is always a domestic flight number.

Unless there is a special flight not showing on the Virgin website, you will fly from Brisbane to Sydney out of the Domestic terminal and arrive at Sydney Domestic (T2)

Your bags will be checked through to Paris. You should be given all your boarding passes in Brisbane.

When you get to Sydney you can take the Virgin seamless transfer bus to get from T2 to T1.

You go through emigration formalities at Sydney.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
9,885 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Domestic check in Brisbane to Paris via Sydney question

And as far as I know you only check in at Brisbane as a domestic passenger ... so not 3 hours in advance. This is from their website .... The following information is for guests who have a domestic departure (check-in), and need to connect through another domestic port onto an international flight.

Domestic Check-in Connecting through Sydney

When you check in at a domestic port, your bags will be checked through to your final destination. You will receive a transfer wallet, which contains a map of the transfer port and a bus pass to use in Sydney. Upon arriving in Sydney, make your way to the transfer lounge at Gate 37 and check in for your international flight. Once you have received a boarding pass for your international flight, you will be shown downstairs to the transfer bus – which will take you to the International Terminal. If you are issued with a boarding pass at the transfer lounge, you will not be required to check in again at the International Terminal.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Domestic check in Brisbane to Paris via Sydney question

Thank-you for all your responses.

EvaMelb I thought what you said may be the case.

Do you happen to know how long I need to be there prior to flight, being a domestic flight?

Flight No's are:

VA0946 from Domestic Terminal Brisbane to Terminal 2 Domestic Sydney

Arriving 13.35 into Sydney

VA0029 from International Terminal 1 Sydney to AUH

Departing 15.15 from Sydney

Thanks again in advance

Victoria

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,547 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Domestic check in Brisbane to Paris via Sydney question

Since its a domestic flight to Sydney you certainly don't need to be there 3 hours prior. I suspect you won't be able to do OLCI so you'll need to check in at least 45 minutes prior to the flight.

Enjoy Paris!

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Domestic check in Brisbane to Paris via Sydney question

My other half did this recently in Australia, but was flying to Singapore on Etihad/Virgin. He said you check in domestic, and transfer to international. They checked his bags straight through to final destination, though.

So personally, don't get there 3 hours before, unless you like hanging around in dull domestic airports :)

BTW, I would also check if there is some kind of seamless transfer from domestic to international airports in SYD like Qantas has, so that you can save money on the bus/train/whatever it is between terminals.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
239 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Domestic check in Brisbane to Paris via Sydney question

You don't check in 3 hours before - from BNE to SYD is treated like a domestic flight.

They will announce it in flight but the transfer gate at Sydney is gate 36?? Whatever it is they will tell and and it is marked. This is the transfer gate so you go there from your flight and they bus you to international terminal across the Tarmac.

Your luggage will be checked through.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Domestic check in Brisbane to Paris via Sydney question

Thanks all again.

Definitely don't want to hang around domestic terminal for 3 hours, so happy there is no need for that.

Will post again after trip to let you know how it went.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Domestic check in Brisbane to Paris via Sydney question

Just wanted to let you know how it went.

Checked in at domestic terminal 30 minutes prior

Luggage checked all the way through

Transferred from Domestic Terminal in Sydney via Shuttle at Gate 46 to International Terminal

Connection was very tight, especially with 25 minute plane delay in Brisbane but made it, especially with the help of Virgin Staff.

Victoria