We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Domestic flights Australia

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
537 posts
Save Topic
Domestic flights Australia

Hi,

What would be the cheapest option for these flights? Is there any carrier that might offer discounts on a number of domestic flights?

They are all one way except for Darwin/Alice Springs.

Melbourne-Sydney-Ballina (Byron Bay)

Brisbane-Darwin

A return ticket Darwin-Alice Springs

cheers

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,390 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Domestic flights Australia

None of the domestic carriers in Australia offer discounts based on the number of legs, well not as far as I'm aware.

Qantas, Virgin and Jetstar do the legs you've specified above, except;

Sydney - Ballina, Qantas do not operate.

Darwin - Alice Springs, Virgin do not operate.

I suggest checking the airlines direct.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,787 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Domestic flights Australia

To check who flys where and at what cost hVe a look at www.webjet.com. It will give you all the fare options for comparison. Book directly with the airlines to avoid the $29 booking fee charged by Webjet.

The only way you'll save money is by booking well ahead of time and checking flights on different days of the week.

If you're an AA ff you may be able to get your Qantas legs on points.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,797 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Domestic flights Australia

The Australian carriers offer deals for visitors on flights when they book their flights in conjunction with their inbound itinerary. They also offer packages (series of flights) that are usually, but not always, cheaper than buying them individually. These aren't typically advertised within Australia. You may also find that booking an onward flight with a stopover in the port of entry significantly reduces cost. For example, I fly into Sydney, spend a couple days there and then fly onward to Adelaide or Perth, sometimes for $15 or even free (on a business class ticket).

Speak to your airline.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
537 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Domestic flights Australia

Thanks

Australia
Level Contributor
209 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Domestic flights Australia

Also you can put your dates into skyscanner and select get alert, and they will send you an email if the price changes.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,797 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Domestic flights Australia

But not if you are buying any of the special deals, as the rates aren't published.

But yes, registering with the airlines and some of the price watcher tools is a good idea.

Edited: 18 April 2013, 10:33
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Domestic flights Australia

#1 Jetstar will fly Melbourne to Ballina three times a week.

Regional Express will do direct Sydney-Ballina as do Jetstar dail, although regional express will go via Newcastle.

Virgin Australia, Qantas and Jetstar will fly Brisbane to Darwin.

Qantaslink will do Darwin to Alice Springs.

Virgin very shortly will start to offer complimentary drinks and meals for flights over 2.5 hours too soon as well.

Wales
Level Contributor
77 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Domestic flights Australia

Virgin Australia stopped their multi leg flight pass in Jan'13 & none of the other airlines offer this service. I believe Qantas offer a discount if you have booked international flights to Australia with them...

I just booked 2 flights to Brisbane in August with Singapore Airlines @ £910 which was the best price I could find for a 5 star rated airline. As for internal flights I decided to go with Tiger Airlines for connections to Melbourne & Sydney as they seemed to have the best prices & reasonably good flight times. I've never used them before, but in my experience most budget airlines are on a par & you get what you pay for as long as you read the T & C's you shouldn't have an issue.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,787 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Domestic flights Australia

@TheDrippingTap:

I agree with you, but just wait for the tirade of responses telling you not to use Tiger.

Tiger have their own terminal in Melbourne (T4) and it's a shed off to the side of the main terminal. Not salubrious but you're not going to live there are you.

When you think Tiger, think Ryanair.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Domestic flights Australia

dont use tiger for important same day connections.....esp your international flight out