We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow Connections

Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Heathrow Connections

Hi,

My husband and I are spending a few weeks in Africa in January. On our way home to Canada we are spending 2 days in Paris. We are flying into London VIA Ethiopian Airlines and the flight is scheduled to get in at 07:05am in London Heathrow. I am looking at booking flight to Paris from heathrow that leaves at 9:30am.

Does this give me enough time to collect our luggage, customs etc....

Thanks,

Morgan

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,462 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow Connections

You mean a flight on a separate ticket? If so, I would certainly leave a lot longer than 2h30m.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow Connections

In theory, only barely enough time to *just* make it. For contingency, queues, lateness, nope you'd need another two hours.

You might want o look up the on time record of EA as well to get an idea of the buffer it would be prudent to build in. But, even if I knew it would be on time, I'd still allow another hour at least, as a minimum..

Edited: 19 April 2013, 15:18
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,836 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow Connections

Noting the airline you are flying in on... I wouldn't book anything that day (maybe a bit of an over reaction), but seriously... consider the train.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,370 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow Connections

< but seriously... consider the train >

Why? It would be even worse if there were delays. for example if you allowed 5 hours from landing to catching train or plane then everything else being equal you lose an hour getting from Heathrow to St Pancras

The best thing for OP to do would be to contact Ethiopian Airlines and pay the fee for changing tickets

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,283 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow Connections

>> ... but seriously... consider the train. <<

Geo, a Eurostar ticket would be the same as a separately ticketed flight (with the added hassle of an hour's tube ride to St. Pancras). Miss the train with a non-refundable ticket and you're paying an almost as large eye wateringly high walk up fare as you would to BA.

Quite why the OP booked flights via London when they want to drop in on Paris beats me. If I were them I'd be looking to change my entire return trip from Addis Abbaba to go direct to CDG, and preferably return home from there too. Although if LHR-HOME is on another ticket they could Eurostar to London the evening before and keep that flight.

Edited: 19 April 2013, 16:15
Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heathrow Connections

Hi,

The reason I booked the ticket to London instead of paris is that we are flying from London To Canada. Also to fly to paris would have cost us and extra $650.00

I was planning on taking the train from London to paris but when I saw that there was a 09:30am flight I thought that would be a better option as I could get more time in Paris as it would get in much earlier.

There is also an 1130am flight but that would pretty much get to paris the same time as the train....

Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heathrow Connections

Two and a half hours won't be enough time I don't think. For starters, you need to allow at least 30-45 minutes at immigration, then you have to claim baggage, change terminals, re-check your baggage, then get to the departure gate. And this is all assuming that your flight from Africa arrives on time. Air France has a 10.10am flight to Paris, which is a bit better than 9.30am ...

Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heathrow Connections

Yes I saw the 10:10 option but it is $450.00 as the 9:25 was only $110.00

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Heathrow Connections

It's doable, just maybe, but I certainly would not chance it, I don't think this is remotely enough time and there is a very high chance you will miss your flight.

I've landed at heathrow more times than I have had not dinners, and I would say 90 percent of the time it takes 30 mins from wheels down to doors opening. If you get airside much before 8.15, I shall eat my hat.

Then you have to change terminals, recheck in, get through immigration and get to your gate within an hour as boarding starts, twenty mins before departure and before they close the gate.

Doable, yes, probable, absolutely not.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Heathrow Connections

Yes I saw the 10:10 option but it is $450.00 as the 9:25 was only $110.00

=======

10:10 is still too early. You should be looking at least a 4 hour gap to allow for delays in immigration and late arrival. On a 3 hour timescale, you'd only need the plane to be one hour late and you could still miss the flight. You also need to take into account that flight schedules change and you have a long time between now and your flight next January so plenty of time for that to happen. People who have concocted their own connections have reported this happening with both flights, such that a tight connection became, literally, impossible, with arrival after departure.

I wouldn't look at anything before 11am.