We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have you ever flown from US to Europe with your cat(s)?

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
951 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Have you ever flown from US to Europe with your cat(s)?

I'm on a merry-go-round with this. I am moving to Rome in mid-May. I am taking my nephew with me to help with excess baggage. As such, we have booked on Lufthansa from Dallas to Venice, with a plane change in Frankfurt. I decided to show my nephew some of Italy before we get to Rome.

I booked an apt in Rome for 3 week, so I can look for a more permanent apartment.

My original plan was to fly back to Dallas late June to pick up my 4 cats and take them back to Rome with me. This is proving impossible, due to some new regulation at DFW starting June 15th that states animals cannot be booked as extra baggage due to heat. Lufthansa cargo agent here in Dallas was totally useless when I called to clarify. He insisted I had to ship my pets as separate cargo. And claimed that only 3 pets, period, were allowed on each flight-total for the airplane. Three. :(

I decided to go back and get my cats, as the prices I was quoted for shipping them as cargo were outrageous, to say the least.

Now, it turns out that the air pet carrier service Lufthansa sent me to had a more reasonable rate than the others, but they gave me bad vibes. After initial contact about "4 cats from Dallas to Rome", they sent a number of emails referring to my "dog", an estmate to Frankfurt instead of Rome, and then a quote for only 3 cats. The first review I found on them (through Yelp) was extremely negative. A man moving his cat from New Orleans to Milan. His cat was stranded in Frankfurt because this agency stated all the paperwork was in order, but turned out there was some shot record missing. He eventually got his vet to fax the records to the vet in Frankfurt and the cat made it to Milan a day late.

I'm losing my mind over this one. I could probably take 2 with me in May, but then still have to arrange for the other two. If I ship two, I might as well ship 4.

I need to know for sure if I would be allowed to take 2 cats on board in the hold for my May flight. And my nephew able to book the other two on his ticket.

Is there anyone here who has travelled with one or more pets from US to Europe? All input will be appreciated. I do not have to book on Lufthansa, but I understand that any flight out of DFW after 6/15 will be prohibited from carrying animals for paying passengers.

HELP!!! and thanks!

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,092 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have you ever flown from US to Europe with your cat(s)?

"due to some new regulation at DFW starting June 15th that states animals cannot be booked as extra baggage due to heat"

This is not a new regulation. During the summer months, most airlines will not allow animals to travel as checked baggage Would it be an option (or possible) to meve your departure date forward a couple of days, say to the 12th or 13th? That might avoid the issue.

2. Re: Have you ever flown from US to Europe with your cat(s)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2014, 05:16