We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TSA and Wrapped Presents

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
8,052 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
TSA and Wrapped Presents

Hi y'all

I'm travelling to Nashville tomorrow and I have a few presents to take, if I wrap them is there any chance I would have to unwrap them at security, one of them is electronic and two are sweets. Should I just take the wrapping paper and sort them when I arrive.

Thank you

Jackie

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TSA and Wrapped Presents

easier to take the wrappiing...just in case.

murphy's law is sure to apply if u wrap them.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,628 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TSA and Wrapped Presents

My own personal experience is that I had to unwrap a package - sort it out after you get there.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,233 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TSA and Wrapped Presents

If the US TSA want to examine your luggage, you will not be there while they do it. If they want to unwrap a package, they will unwrap it.

Once they find there is nothing dangerous, they will dump parcel and wrapping back in your case and leave a printed note saying your case has been opened by TSA.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TSA and Wrapped Presents

Take the paper with you and wrap it after security that way you won't risk having to open it and then not be able to wrap it again.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,091 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TSA and Wrapped Presents

Are you planning on placing gifts in checked luggage or in your carry-on? If you are putting them in checked luggage I would wrap them. I carry wrapped gifts to grandchildren and security never unwraps them. If you are carrying them on the plane I would unwrap them. They can scan a wrapped package as easily as one that is unwrapped, but they really like to open them any way.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
8,052 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TSA and Wrapped Presents

Hi

Some and some, not sure about the sweets and cakes, I'll have to declare them so will probably have them handy in my carry-on, the bigger stuff will be in the hold.

I will just pack the paper and sellotape and sort it out at my hotel.

Jackie

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TSA and Wrapped Presents

Common question over the Xmas holiday season. TSA has the right to ask that a package be opened if the X-ray or other device detects something they feel they need to inspect more carefully. Ditto for items in checked baggage (TSA can open checked bags, of course). Why not either wrap them upon arrival, or wrap them loosely and leave the paper unfastened (untaped), so that if they need to open the package they can do so easily without ripping open the paper? I believe holiday fruitcakes are, in fact, classified as WMDs, so those I'd forget :-)

Edited: 20 April 2013, 21:17
Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,802 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TSA and Wrapped Presents

If TSA are anything like me, I LOVE opening presents...................

Do it when you arrive and spoil their fun, but don't forget to declare all the food stuffs.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,557 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TSA and Wrapped Presents

Don't wrap them. If TSA thinks there's anything unusual during the X-ray, they'll unwrap the presents.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,146 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TSA and Wrapped Presents

You also might not want to pack electronics in your hold baggage, especially if something of value that others might want & easily take for themselves. Lots of people complain about valuables (often electronics) stolen from checked luggage somewhere along the course of travel.

Even before 9/11 & the advent of TSA, wrapped gifts were likely to be unwrapped for examination.