We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TSA and Wrapped Presents

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,144 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
TSA and Wrapped Presents

Hi y'all

I'm travelling to Nashville tomorrow and I have a few presents to take, if I wrap them is there any chance I would have to unwrap them at security, one of them is electronic and two are sweets. Should I just take the wrapping paper and sort them when I arrive.

Thank you

Jackie

Carteret, New Jersey
1 post
Save Reply
11. Re: TSA and Wrapped Presents

Use gift bags, easy for them to look and see and put back

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
10,241 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: TSA and Wrapped Presents

Pedrehabm, you're a bit late the thread is from April....

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,144 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: TSA and Wrapped Presents

Hi

Thanks for your advice, although my trip was at the end of April.

I didn't wrap anything till I got there, and although I would not normally put electronics in the hold I didn't fancy carrying a jumbo Scalextrix in my carry on. But it arrived safely.

TSA had no interest whatsoever in six battenburgs and six bags of Bon bons,but my son loved them.

Jackie

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,836 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: TSA and Wrapped Presents

TSA recommends to take electronics on board in your carryon. Electronics is one flag that they look for.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: TSA and Wrapped Presents

TSA unwraps presents. Don't waste the paper. Wrap once you get there.

Just saw your update. Glad things arrived ok. I still wouldn't put anything valuable in checked bags.

Edited: 10 November 2013, 21:14
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,144 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: TSA and Wrapped Presents

Hi

A Scalextrix isn't like an iPad or a computer and I knew I was taking a risk but it was to big to carry on, also my son was meeting me and I didn't want him to see it just then.

Apparently Scalextrix is really hard to find in the USA.

Jackie

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: TSA and Wrapped Presents

What's a Scalextrix? :)

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,144 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: TSA and Wrapped Presents

HI

It's a car racing game on a real track where you control your own car with hand held buttons. It used to be very popular over here, in fact it might still be. I bought him one with two little Fiat 500's as that is my new car. it's lots of fun and skillful to be able to race fast and not have your little car fly off the track.

Take a look at Amazon UK there's lots for sale on there but not on .com.

Jackie

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: TSA and Wrapped Presents

Jackie - those look awesome. I was thinking it was some kind of bathroom scale or something lol

Too bad as it's probably outside Father C'mas' budget this year, but there's a digital one for about ₤250 that looks like I'd like to have it on my list... Thanks!

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,144 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: TSA and Wrapped Presents

Hi

It was a wedding present, everyone else was buying gravy boats and toasters, I thought this would be more fun. My other son said it was a terrible wedding present but his brother and new wife loved it.

Jackie