We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore Changi voted World's Best Airport 2013 by Skytrax

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,557 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Singapore Changi voted World's Best Airport 2013 by Skytrax

.... and AMS knocks HKG out of the top 3!

Here's the top 10, and full details here - http://www.worldairportawards.com/

1     Singapore Changi Airport

2     Incheon International Airport

3     Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

4     Hong Kong International Airport

5     Beijing Capital International Airport

6     Munich Airport

7     Zurich Airport

8     Vancouver International Airport

9     Tokyo International Airport (Haneda)

10    London Heathrow Airport

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Singapore Changi voted World's Best Airport 2013 by Skytrax

always a pleasure to arrive/depart and transfer thru changi.

but vancouver? really?

2. Re: Singapore Changi voted World's Best Airport 2013 by Skytrax

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 23 April 2013, 07:29
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,518 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Singapore Changi voted World's Best Airport 2013 by Skytrax

Hi,

I guess I'm not surprised by SIN's rating, after all, they do seem to have an established track record of doing most things "right".

I'm also not surprised by the fact that fully half of the top 10 are in Aisia.. But I also think that this is, to a degree, related to the fact that many of these Asia airpors are either wholly "new" (new being relative) with HKG and CN being opened in 1998 and 2001 respectively "; or like PEK and HND, having undergone major expansions and facility upgrades.

I think that for many older more established airports like in Europe and the US, this is just not a realistic option; be that due to economics, political, regulatory, environmental or other constraints. Often airport expansion becomes a NIMBY issue.

What I wonder is when will we see a Middle East airport make its debut in the top 10 as I think it's not a matter of "if", but "when" that occurs.

Travel Safe,

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Singapore Changi voted World's Best Airport 2013 by Skytrax

<<I'm also not surprised by the fact that fully half of the top 10 are in Aisia>>

...which raises the question as to why the 'new' airport at BKK is not in the list? Not as good as Changi, but not bad either imo.

Birmingham, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Singapore Changi voted World's Best Airport 2013 by Skytrax

Can't complain about Singapore, a brilliant airport, from landing to the city centre can be ultra quick, the facilities, entertainment ... an airport i don't mind having a delay in.

I disagree very strongly about Incheon Airport however. Granted, it has great facilities, and virtually non existent ques, but it's so far from the city centre of Seoul that's it's just so inconvenient. From the time the plane touches down to get to central Seoul takes me well over an hour, sometimes in traffic 90 mins. I hate it.

I find Amsterdam a delight to transfer through, especially with security at the gates, making it very easy for passengers on transfers. However, they are stopping the security at the gates system this year and centralising the security, so i can see it being more of a hassle.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,518 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Singapore Changi voted World's Best Airport 2013 by Skytrax

Hi,

"...which raises the question as to why the 'new' airport at BKK is not in the list? Not as good as Changi, but not bad either imo"

==> Good question... I suspect that this is driven in part by the traffic flow that the airport sees.... And the voting "demographic" of the rating agency.

In the case of SIN and HKG as examples, both get a fairly sizable amount of premium cabin passengers..

Be that from each cities hub carrier - SQ and CX respectively, but both cities also see a sizable amount of premium traffic as either O and/or D types or as connection - be that online or offline. And I think this plays into not only who votes but also drives where these folks go to, come from or event transit.

While BKK does see a good chunk of passengers by volume, they just don't see as many premium cabin passengers as does SIN or HKG and while several carriers other than TG use it as a regional base (like BR and CI) they just don't see the premium traffic that these other ports do.

For the most part, when I look at this list speaking to Asian airports, I see a list of major *commercial* cities that draw premium cabin traffic, and for right now, BKK isn't a huge premium cabin market.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 23 April 2013, 07:46
7. Re: Singapore Changi voted World's Best Airport 2013 by Skytrax

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 23 April 2013, 08:18
Edited: 23 April 2013, 08:18
8. Re: Singapore Changi voted World's Best Airport 2013 by Skytrax

Removed on: 23 April 2013, 08:19
Edited: 23 April 2013, 08:19
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Singapore Changi voted World's Best Airport 2013 by Skytrax

either O and/or D types

------------------------------

???

Birmingham, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Singapore Changi voted World's Best Airport 2013 by Skytrax

BKK is a good airport, however they have yet to stop the Taxi scam that corrupts alot of naive tourists, infact they allow it. And the transport links to the city centre with the Metro is utter rubbish and badly conceived.

Shout out to Dubai, which i enjoy.