We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

E cigarettes in airports

cheshire uk
3 posts
2 reviews
E cigarettes in airports

My daughter has just started training for a british airline as cabin crew and she (along with the other trainees) has been told that e-cigs are no longer allowed through passport control, or on the actual flight.

I gave up smoking real cigarettes almost 2 years ago and have been smoking the e cigs. Now I cant even have a little puff of one on a flight!!!!!! How ridiculous!!

Apparently it has something to do with the e-cigs being battery powered. has anyone else heard this, or has anyone had their e-cigs taken off them at Passport Control?

11. Re: E cigarettes in airports

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 January 2014, 16:05
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,253 posts
6 reviews
12. Re: E cigarettes in airports

There's also the issue that if someone starts "smoking" an e-cig that others may think it's license to light up a real one. So, to avoid any emotional finger pointing ("he's smoking so why can't I") the airlines, and quite possibly the airports have a blanket ban to avoid any confusion or air rage.

I agree with this policy, and I smoke.

Edited: 06 July 2013, 08:55
Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
13. Re: E cigarettes in airports

In response to Tilly41's claim that E cigarettes are odorless. Nope. They aren't. My co-worker has one and it REEKS! I've also read a study (by T. Schripp, D. Markewitz, E. Uhde, T. Salthammer) where it was concluded that aerosol, VOC, and nicotin are in fact expelled into the air - making it something that no one should be forced to be subjected to.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,555 posts
74 reviews
14. Re: E cigarettes in airports

I don't give a monkey about your co-worker...those I used to smoke were totally odourless.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,853 posts
10 reviews
15. Re: E cigarettes in airports

".In response to Tilly41's claim that E cigarettes are odorless. Nope. They aren't"

Can't smell any worse than someone who's been sitting in the bar all day. Personally, I prefer the E-cigarette.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,270 posts
16. Re: E cigarettes in airports

That may be true, and if you'd said "The vapour from the particular brand and type of e-cig I used to smoke was totally smell free" then no one would have corrected you. Your statement was factually incorrect, and as such was corrected.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,337 posts
92 reviews
17. Re: E cigarettes in airports

Nobody is asking people to choose between bad smells.

e-cigarettes are inefficient drug delivery devices and are inappropriate for public spaces.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,853 posts
10 reviews
18. Re: E cigarettes in airports

"e-cigarettes are inefficient drug delivery devices and are inappropriate for public spaces"

That's a bunch of bull propogated by the government and the anti-smoking crowd. Personally, I'm not a smoker, but I really wish you anti-smoking do gooder fanatics would stop trying to run other peoples lives.

19. Re: E cigarettes in airports

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 November 2013, 12:45
Edited: 17 November 2013, 12:45
kentucky
Level Contributor
5,811 posts
44 reviews
20. Re: E cigarettes in airports

< I really wish you anti-smoking do gooder fanatics would stop trying to run other peoples lives.>

How idiotic is that?

How about smokers stop polluting and killing people when they smoke? Running other people's lives?? Get real. I used to smoke; I got angry at myself and quit. I don't want to smell the vile stink on the clothes of the person sitting next to me, nor do I appreciate anyone telling me that I am a fanatic. I stopped killing myself (hopefully in time) and understand that I was addicted to poison and was poisoning others. I'm not stupid enough to believe I was not harming anyone else.