We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turkish Airlines lost baggage advice?

Squamish, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Turkish Airlines lost baggage advice?

It's been almost a year - and our claim for our lost mountaineering equipment bag en route to Pakistan is being - well - ignored? We aren't sure why Turkish Airlines is not attending to our claim...perhaps because there was an expensive list of items lost that they are not that interested in insuring.

Has anyone else lost expensive baggage (or not expensive for that matter) and had troubles getting the claim resolved with an airline?

209 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
61. Re: Turkish Airlines lost baggage advice?

Turkish Airlines just lost our luggage from Istanbul to Houston on 23/3/14. We paid an extra $700 to upgrade our flight which we are fighting to have refunded. I lost a laptop, my camera. and many other personal belongings which I am very upset about. Poor, poor service.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,259 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
62. Re: Turkish Airlines lost baggage advice?

Why on earth did you put a laptop and camera in your checked luggage? While Turkish Airlines' Terms and Conditions do not (as many other airlines' do) specifically prohibit doing this, surely common sense would have told you that sometimes luggage does get lost-it's the subject of many jokes and cartoons. If you really don't want to lose something, have it in your cabin luggage. Otherwise there's always the risk it won't arrive with you.

But, the fault is most likely _not_ with Turkish Airlines. Once they have accepted your baggage and sent it off on the moving carriageway, it is taken over by the baggage handlers employed by the airport you are departing from, and it is they who load it into the plane. Baggage handlers employed by your arriving airport will take it off the plane and put it on the carousel for you to collect. So really the only time it is directly handled by a Turkish Airlines employee is at the check in desk.

Edited: 24 March 2014, 15:14
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,025 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
63. Re: Turkish Airlines lost baggage advice?

Janna: Other than what was shared in #62 above, I'm trying to understand how you are linking a $700 upgrade fee to your lost baggage investigation? They are 2 different things. But, good luck. I hope the airline finds your missing bag.

New York City, New...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
64. Re: Turkish Airlines lost baggage advice?

Yes! Today I came from JKF to Athens and 1 stop in Stanbul in the middle the way. The turkish airlines lost my luggages today and until now there is no information about when my things is going to deliver me.

Thats is ridiculous! They dont care about this, its like if his problem were only mine. But, actually they did it to me. Now I am here in Athens no clothes no shoes no anything and the only thing that I received from them was 35 euros for the delay baggage. that is, ridicolous! I want my luggages today.

Dar es Salaam...
1 post
Save Reply
65. Re: Turkish Airlines lost baggage advice?

Missing bag from London Heathrow/Istanbul/Dar Es Salaam full business class ticket. Filed the PIR in Dar on 6/13, it is now 6/15 and I have to go to the local market to purchase clothes that have been lost for work tomorrow. I dont understand how every other airline I have flown can immediately tell me where my bag is at and its currently day 3 with no response from TK or Swissport (baggage handlers in Dar) other then that my bag has not been found. This really is not acceptable and needs to change for TK. I have also filed a complaint to DOT and to the London TK office.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
8,950 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
66. Re: Turkish Airlines lost baggage advice?

Jeff, I understand that this is frustrating for you. But what do you want them to tell you? They are trying to locate your bag and have no information. I do not know in what business you are in, but what would you do if you where in their position? Likely something along the line of: "We do not know where the bag is and we are trying our best to find out."

Normally bags appear again, but your bag could have gone wrong in London, Istanbul or Dar es Salaam.

New Jersey
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
67. Re: Turkish Airlines lost baggage advice?

I had luggage lost earlier this year by Turkish Airlines, who are pretty much the absolute worst when it comes to communicating with customers.

The best results I got were after filing a complaint with the Department of Transportation. When a federal agent contacted Turkish Airlines on my behalf, I got results surprisingly quickly.

Eventually (about a month after my initial flight), I got my luggage back (after many late night phone calls, some tears, and about a million emails).

The customer service agents in Turkey are scumbags. Try to deal with their headquarters in NY if you can.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
18,999 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
68. Re: Turkish Airlines lost baggage advice?

That's a nice sentiment there Natalie. Also, have you not thought that Turkish Airlines would be based in Turkey and not NY?

Jakarta
Level Contributor
2 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
69. Re: Turkish Airlines lost baggage advice?

Well, it's not the procedures in general, it's Turkish Airlines in particular. TK is a pleasure to fly - it's for sure one of my airlines of choice. But when something goes amiss - like lost luggage - "customer service" is not something that's apparently well covered in their training manuals. My advice (having had my bag lost) is to be persistent. In the end, TK settled by awarding me 3 economy class tickets instead of covering my loss in cash. Try for an exchange.... Use their Facebook or other social media page to lodge a complaint.

Glenwood, New York
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
70. Re: Turkish Airlines lost baggage advice?

I've had a similar experience with TK and lost/delayed baggage; at the moment, I'm waiting to see which it is. I do a lot of international travel for business, so I've certainly had my share of delayed baggage from different airlines. The problem I'm experiencing with TK is what seems to be a total lack of communication. The response seems to be "it's somebody else's problem." On the particular latest flight, there were roughly 10 or 12 passengers with the same situation, and the local baggage handlers/lost luggage office just sort of smiled sadly and said that this was SOP for Turkish Air flights. Overall, they seem to have an image of not handling this very well. Some government/international agency would do travelers a service by actually putting out statistics for airlines and lost/delayed baggage. I understand that this would be difficult because of using multiple airlines for a particular trip, but it would at least offer guidelines. My gut feeling is that TK would likely score very low in the ratings.

Reply to: Turkish Airlines lost baggage advice?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted