We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transit visa at london

Hyderabad, India
4 posts
Save Topic
transit visa at london

i along with my wife are traavelling from mumbai to london (terminal 4)on air india flight and from london (terminal 3) to ottawa by air canada. shall we require transit visa or not. we are having valid indian passport and temporary resident visa to canada. please clarify.

UK
Level Contributor
7,168 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transit visa at london

You can find up to date and authoritative information about this on the UK Border Agency's web site at ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk.

You should always check official sources for visa information.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transit visa at london

It seems you will be travelling from Mumbai to LHR with Air India or Jet Airways. Unless there is an interline agreement with Air Canada, it seems you'll have to collect your luggage and check-in again. As such, you will have to go through UK immigration. And you'll need a visitor in transit visa (according to ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk if you are Indian national and resident). Please note that even if you were remaining airside, you'd need a direct airside transit visa.

Beyond the visas, I hope you planned enough time between the flights, since, if you bought two separate tickets, a delayed first flight might lead to the loss of the second one...

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,380 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: transit visa at london

There is a concession for Indians travelling to/from North America which means you can transit AIRSIde without a visa (Google TWOV). It can be extended for a landside transfer IF the immigration officer agrees. This is normally for cases where you land one day and fly out again the next but it can be used for changing flights on separate tickets

Hyderabad, India
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: transit visa at london

I, Kudupudi Gopala Rao, Retired Manager (Depot) worked in Food Corporation of India and my wife Kudupudi Sujatha Devi, housewife, Indian nationals travelling from Mumbai (India) to Ottawa(Canada) Via London. we are having valid indian pass ports and visitor's visa to Canada. we arrive at london by Air India Flight on 10th June 2013 at 11-30 hrs at Heathrow(LHR) Terminal 4 and we have to leave to Ottawa(Canada) through Heathrow(LHR) Terminal 4 by Air Canada Flight at 15-15 Hrs of same day i.e., on 10th June 2013. Shifting from terminal 4 to 3 on airside transit is required at london. we are not going to any other place except airport. Our stay at air port is only 3 hours and 45 minutes. we are having valid indian passport and temporary resident visa to canada.Shall we require airside transit visa or not. Please clarify.

Edited: 04 May 2013, 11:02
London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,281 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transit visa at london

You are very welcome on the Trip Advisor Forums and people will do their best to answer your questions, but this question needs to be asked on the UK Border Agency website or at the nearest British Consulate, not a travel forum.

There are some very knowledgeable people on this forum, but showing the Immigration Officers a printout of the answers on here will not help you at the airport. You need to speak to the people who have the authority to give you an answer that will bind the immigration officers.

It is also unwise to publish so much information about yourself on the internet.

If you click on "report inappropriate content" you will see an option "remove my post".

Edited: 04 May 2013, 11:18
Hyderabad, India
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: transit visa at london

I, Kudupudi Gopala Rao, working as Manager (Depot) in Food Corporation of India and due for retirement on 31st May 2013 and my wife Kudupudi Sujatha Devi, housewife, Indian nationals travelling from Mumbai (India) to Ottawa(Canada) Via London. we are having valid indian pass ports and visitor's visa to Canada. On transit we arrive at london by Air India Flight on 10th June 2013 at 11-30 hrs at Heathrow(LHR) Terminal 4 and we have to leave to Ottawa(Canada) through Heathrow(LHR) Terminal 3 by Air Canada Flight at 15-15 Hrs of same day i.e., on 10th June 2013. Shifting from terminal 4 to 3 on airside transit is required at london. we are not going to any other place except airport. Our stay at air port is only 3 hours and 45 minutes. we are having valid indian passport and temporary resident visa to canada.Shall we get concession for transit visa or require airside transit visa . Please clarify.

Thanking you,

Kudupudi Gopala Rao

Toronto, Ontario...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transit visa at london

to get answer to your questions, Read Page 16, 17 and Page 18 of this latest edition Sep -2013.

…homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/…

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: transit visa at london

Hi,

I am an Indian citizen travelling from Toronto, Canada to New Delhi,India on British Airways flight through Heathrow Airport. The connecting flight is from Terminal 4 only. So I would not need to change terminals as well.

I hold a valid work permit valid for more than 6 months and would have a Visitor Visa for Canada.

Would I need a transit Visa for UK for this travel?

Thanks in Advance.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,301 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: transit visa at london

tinbaj,

You yourself need to determine whether your documents permit a transit without visa. You can enter your details on the UK Border website linked below and it will tell you.

https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa

Please also note that British Airways uses Terminal 5 at London Heathrow, not T4. If both your flights are with BA they will both use T5 and you won't need to change terminal. BUT, that does not affect whether or not you need a transit visa.

Edited: 26 September 2014, 19:39
Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: transit visa at london

Hi,

You are correct. The flight is from Terminal 5.

I checked on the link you provided and It says that I need Transit Visa.

But I found this pdf from UK embassy which says that I would not need a transit visa if I am travelling through UK with a valid Canadian Visa.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system…

Also, I double checked with my travel agent, and he also confirmed that I dont need a transit visa if I have a valid Candian Multi-Entry Visa.

Who shall I talk to get the exact correct information?

Thanks