We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delta carry on size limit

London, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Delta carry on size limit

Hi all,

I'm flying with Delta from Heathrow to Boston and am looking to buy a 4 wheel case. The description dimensions are 20" x 14" x 10" (51cm x 36cm x 26cm).

Delta state the following:

Baggage may not exceed 45 linear inches (or 114 cm) in combined length, width and height, including any handles and wheels

Baggage must fit easily in the Carry-on Baggage Check (approximately 22" x 14" x 9" or 56 x 35 x 23 cm), which is located near the check-in counters.

Should I be worried about the odd few extra centimetres?

Thanks.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,751 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Delta carry on size limit

By my math your bag is actually under the maximum size. I would not worry about it.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Delta carry on size limit

Those are two criteria: 1) Not over 45 linear inches (you're under); 2) Must fit within the carry-on baggage check (you're over one inch on one measurement). The second is to fit easily within the overhead bins. It's not just a matter of total linear inches. IF the bag you're considering has the measurements you state includes the wheels, you may well not have any problem (but I haven't seen the carry-on baggage check and don't know how often it's actually used). If the wheels are over and above this (so to speak), you may well be out of luck.

Important questions: why this particular bag and is there an alternative you could buy and remove any doubt?

Edited: 05 May 2013, 16:23
Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Delta carry on size limit

If the size of the bag you want to buy includes the handles and the wheels then you won't have a problem, they only check the bag if there's a big size difference.

Santa Rosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Negril
Level Contributor
3,424 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Delta carry on size limit

no problem with your carry on, just watch how many oversized bags get carried on, you'll wonder how they get away with it but Delta is a little lenient, I fly with them on a regular basis.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
6,423 posts
2,747 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Delta carry on size limit

NO!

Delta Gate agents are clueless!!!!

You shall be fine.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,818 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Delta carry on size limit

They will let you on the plane with your luggage BUT you must be able to easily fit it into the overhead compartment! IF you stuff the bag full and other folks do the same then it is possible that it won't fit into the compartment and you'll have to check it. Try not to overstuff it and try not to be the last person getting onto the plane!!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,906 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Delta carry on size limit

OP has been back from her trip for a month or so...someone decided to bump up some old posts for no real reason...

8. Re: Delta carry on size limit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2014, 05:16