We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight connection / changing plane - please advise!

London, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Flight connection / changing plane - please advise!

Hi, I am flying London to Lima, with a 2 1/2 hr change over in Madrid

Have never done a connecting / change of flight before, and am an infrequent flyer.

I am okay with my London to Madrid flight, however I am unsure about what to do when I arrive in Madrid

1. Am I safe to say I won't have to collect my checked luggage as this will go from London straight to Lima without seeing it? I do have some hand luggage though.

2. When I arrive into Madrid, from London, I assume I skip baggage collection as I won't have any to collect.... Do I go through any immigration of customs here?

3. Once arriving into Madrid, do I just simply check in with Iberia at the check in desks once Ive gotten off my flight, then head to security, then wait to and go to my gate?"

I am a worrying person and I think I have enough time but I just want some advice! Thanks!

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight connection / changing plane - please advise!

Are you flying on one through ticket or 2 separate tickets?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,452 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight connection / changing plane - please advise!

Your bags will be checked through to Lima, you do not need to retrieve them in Madrid. Assuming you have a single ticket, you will likely have your boarding pass already for Madrid-Lima so you simply go to that gate. No need to checkin or go through security.

London, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight connection / changing plane - please advise!

It's all on once ticket!

Tumbleweed - Good point. I will check in online before I go, so will be able to print boarding pass for both London - Madrid and Madrid - Lima?

Italy
Level Contributor
39,487 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight connection / changing plane - please advise!

You will only see your baggage again at Lima, when you arrive in Madrid follow the signs for connecting flights then check to see on the departure board the gate number for the Lima flight, then proceed to the gate.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight connection / changing plane - please advise!

Yes, you should be able to print all, boarding passes. If not you should be given it on arrival at London.

You don't check in again, just go to your gate.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight connection / changing plane - please advise!

If you are flying Iberia to Madrid they often ask passengers changing to their long haul flights (which go from the satellite terminal) to wait on the plane. You then go down the rear steps to a bus that takes you direct to the satellite.

You do security again there but no passport checks and your luggage should be checked straight through to LIma.

London, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight connection / changing plane - please advise!

Thanks!

So once I get off my flight, I just need to straight to te departure lounges / find my gate?

No need to check in at Iberia desk / go through immigration / security?

I am flying British Airways from London to Madrid, then Iberia to Lima.

By the sounds of it it seems a lot easier than I thought. I thought I would have to get off plane, check in, go through security again

London
Level Contributor
30 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight connection / changing plane - please advise!

No most likely you will be given all your tickets from London , two sets, then you go through connecting flights gate or signs at airport, and you will need to go through passport and immigration controls again but there us nothing to worry about . Your luggage will go from London directly to your final destination and you have no problems at all , your hand luggage will be rechecked as well but please do not worry or stress unduly as I am now a frequent traveller on very long hauls , flights of 8 hours, then 4 or 5 hour waiting period fir connecting flight and off we go for another 8 or 9 hours flight . You will be fine , just check luggage bag allowance is same fir all flights as international flights allow extra luggage whereas internal flights are often less kg weight of suitcase luggage . Good luck and chill Bharat Chandarana

London
Level Contributor
30 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight connection / changing plane - please advise!

No most likely you will be given all your tickets from London , two sets, then you go through connecting flights gate or signs at airport, and you will need to go through passport and immigration controls again but there us nothing to worry about . Your luggage will go from London directly to your final destination and you have no problems at all , your hand luggage will be rechecked as well but please do not worry or stress unduly as I am now a frequent traveller on very long hauls , flights of 8 hours, then 4 or 5 hour waiting period fir connecting flight and off we go for another 8 or 9 hours flight . You will be fine , just check luggage bag allowance is same fir all flights as international flights allow extra luggage whereas internal flights are often less kg weight of suitcase luggage . Good luck and chill Bharat Chandarana

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,590 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flight connection / changing plane - please advise!

My advice is to confirm all of this at the ticket counter when you first check in for your flight from London. There may be details that are unique to your itinerary, and it is better to get direction from the airline than from those of us who have taken trips that may or may not be under identical circumstances.