We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delta Airlines - International

Darwin
1 post
Save Topic
Delta Airlines - International

Hi,

My family and I will be flying out from Singapore to Narita onward to the USA, on Delta Airlines. We found a lot of negative reviews on delta airlines, especially with the aircrafts being old and not providing any onboard entertainment etc, I find it hard to believe on such a long-haul route SIN-SFO (Via NRT) there is nothing that will be provided in way of entertainment. As we will travelling with 2 very young children, we are a bit concerned. Has anyone flown this route recently with them? Can share your experience? Any opinion will be appreciated.

Routes will be

SIN-SFO (Via NRT)

SFO-JFK

JFK-MCO

MCO-LAS

LAX-MNL (Via NRT)

Thank you!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Delta Airlines - International

I haven't flown this route but check out the reviews on the airlinequality website someone may have flown that route lately:

www.airlinequality.com

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
5,308 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Delta Airlines - International

Delta has been upgrading most of its Asian fleet. I fly Delta in Asia quite frequently and the only plane that hasn't been upgraded that I have encountered in the last year is the 767 between Tokyo and Honolulu. The 330s, 777s and 747s I have flown have all been upgraded with AVOD.

Once you get stateside, services vary widely depending on which flight, some have AVOD, some have overhead, some have nothing, some AVOD are free, some cost money.

But if you look on the Delta website, they have an aircraft section that will tell you if you have AVOD or overhead screens for movies.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,978 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Delta Airlines - International

I've done a few flights between USA and NRT in last year with DL and all was fine, no issues at all, good aircraft, very good service. Same stateside. Just look up the flights on DL.com to find out about the equipment. NRT is super functional as a transit airport. You should be fine.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Delta Airlines - International

You've booked your flights and are now worrying about negative reviews (which, of course, aren't scientific surveys of all passenger opinions). The Delta schedule will show the features, including entertainment, available for each flight. Also, see what kind of aircraft will be used on each route. That is important (and changes periodically, so one review for the same route may be for a different type of plane). When you have the aircraft type, you can look on sites like Seatguru.com for features (though such sites can be out of date). You can also come back here, and to the Delta forums on flyertalk.com, and ask about the type of aircraft you'll be on.

Using an arbitrary date for SIN-SFO (selecting the option involving just one connection, at NRT), I see, on Delta.com, a 777-200LR being used to NRT, and a 767-300 from there, with films being available on both (though I did not see an indication of individual screens for each seat, so it may be drop-down monitors for every few rows). You can also call Delta. The morning SFO-JFK non-stop is showing a 757, with video on-demand, which to me means individual videos on which you can select what films, etc. you want to see, and when. The JFK-MCO non-stops I saw didn't show icons for videos/films. Just a 3-hour flight. Of course, exact aircraft type is subject to change, even at the last minute.

Edited: 09 May 2013, 15:15
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,471 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Delta Airlines - International

You'll find bad reviews for every airline. People are more motivated to complain than to praise. But, you've already bough the ticket so it's a moot point.

I would expect the plane to have AVOD, as shown on the Delta website. As with every airline, there is always a slight possibility that equipment change or malfuntion could result in your flying in a plane or a seat that would not have AVOD. If you're flying with 2 young children, you should bring enough to entertain them in case of contingencies. I always rent a couple of movies to watch on my iTouch just in case I don't have AVOD or AVOD isn't working.

1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Delta Airlines - International

My family & I,12 members all together would like to travel from Kennedy Airport to Orlando Florida(MOC) on August 27th-September 3, 2013.What deals can we get on Delta Airline?

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,811 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Delta Airlines - International

Please do a separate post with enough information for people to reply intelligently. This is not a travel agency. I hope you know that's Labor Day weekend.

Edited: 10 July 2013, 22:25
Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
6,821 posts
2,769 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Delta Airlines - International

We fly Delta international a good deal, bur we fly Business Elite and have NO complaints.

9. Re: Delta Airlines - International

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2014, 05:18